General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noise in the rear...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
SlvrOhTwoGeeTee
2nd Gear Member

Default Noise in the rear...

I just recently had new Toyo Proxes T1-R put on the rear (still have some worn Pirelli P-Zero Rossos on the front) but at the same time I had a leaking pinion seal replaced. Now I did drive on a leaky pinion seal for a while but when the garage changed it they didn't mention if the oil that was in there has shavings or if it got to low. Now since getting a new agressive tire and my seal changed I notice a sound in the rear. It’s a bit hard to describe a sound but it kind of sounds like a warble… like…. wowowowowow… it gets faster as I accel, and slower as I decel. I am assuming its tire noise, but I have never had a big tire with tread before so I have never experienced it. I am also a bit paranoid about it being the gears because of the leaky seal. Does anyone else have this sound (if you can figure out what I’m talking about hehe)? Is it just good ol’ tire noise… or something more? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
BlackxSVO

Default RE: Noise in the rear...

i've had the same noise when i put a little taller tire on my 86. stupid question but did they balance them? cause i only balanced one side of my rim cause i didnt have the weights that stick to the inner rim at the time so i thought that coulda been it
Old 04-01-2008, 01:36 PM
SlvrOhTwoGeeTee
2nd Gear Member

that could be it... I did step up to an 18x10 Saleen rim in the rear and he tried to do some fancy balancing and I believe there is only weight on the front of the rim (but on the inside of the wheel... if that makes sense) and used what I think to be quite a bit of weight... so that could very well be the case. I don't feel any vibrations though. Would I not necessarily feel it if it maybe wasn't off by to much?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:06 PM
LinkTheWorld
1st Gear Member

Whenever I hear a noise come out of the rear the only thing I do is walk away and leave it behind for someone else. The problem seems to be gone in a minute or two.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
BlackxSVO

yeah i know what you mean with the weights. those are the ones i needed but didnt have. i only had the ones you hammer on the inside rim. you shouldnt really feel any vidrations if its off just a little but if its out of wack you may feel just a little at higher speeds. but thats most likely the problem. if you felt and heard a lot of vibrations then your lookin at driveshaft U-joints. but seems not the case.did you bring it to a regular repair shop or a speed shop? id bring it to a good speed shop and tell them to do it for you since you got those rims on it. the shop shoulda driven the car to make sure it was done right also. id watch em do it too but im a little crazy when it comes to other people working on my car haha. also id change the front tires to the same kind as the rear. all 4 tires should be the same.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
SlvrOhTwoGeeTee
2nd Gear Member

I took it to a friend of min that I have had work on my cars for years. Hes a master certified mechanic blah blah blah but yeah he has been around a while and does really good work. I was there when he did it and watched him "balance" the wheels, but I am guessing you are right about it being off a little. I intend to change the front tires here shortly once I got the time as well as get an alignment since I didnt do it last fall when I dropped the car. Thanks for the responses, you've been a great help.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
BlackxSVO

true true. all make mistakes. no problem man! glad to help out anytime