General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing all wires w/ painless???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM
missbehavin1x

Default Changing all wires w/ painless???

As I posted earlier this week about an electrical problem, my husband just wants to re-wire the whole 66' mustang. He doesnt know much about electrical but we heard painless is pretty simple. He talked about hiring someone to do it but we cant afford much more then the $700. it costs for the wiring harness. Is it a long, complicated process to re-wire with painless??
Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 PM
MikeIt69

Default RE: Changing all wires w/ painless???

I would'think' its only a matter of following an electrical diagram that shouldcome with the harness. But Im not fluent withthe older cars.

Electrical is 1 of those wearythings on a car that if you have no idea what your doing you might want to have someone that does nearby helping out, or just save and pay a professional because you might bite off more than you can chew and it sucks to be half done a job and give up.

Maybe someone else in the forum could be more help.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
MooseStang88
2nd Gear Member

if you do it, make sure you have patience. Make sure that you label and note where the old wires came from and go to. The problem with the older cars is that you don't know what has been changed before you got it. I worked on my step dad's 66, and we would follow a wire and then it would just end, or start with a red one and it would change three different colors before it came toan end.So make sure that you have diagrams, and take notes.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
tntcobra
1st Gear Member

I had a '68 that we restored minus the wiring. And I was plagued with problems - dim lights, bad grounds, minimal charge on the battery. If you can afford it, go for it. It's definitely worth the investment.

As long as you take your time and work with patience like Moose said, it's not that tough. But is time consuming. You will have to pulla good partof the interior out and follow wires through the firewall, along the rear trunk rail, etc. Sometimes getting the old connectors apart can be tough so make your mind up early if you are going to salvage the old harness or just junk it.