General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone know anything about airbags and clocksprings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone know anything about airbags and clocksprings?

Update : I am trying to install a clockspring, mine was removed and the wires from it were cut and left hanging before I purchased car. All I have done so far is remove the airbag by removing the two screws from the side of the steering wheel that hold it in place. I had to go buy a torx screw and a steering wheel puller. The wires that were cut, one is in a yellow sheath which comes from the clockspring, and the other is black, which also comes from the clockspring, the only one that was not cut was attatched to the ignition. I am now trying to figure out how to mount the airbag ecu. I found the plugs for it around the gas pedal...but...I cannot figure out where to mount it, escecially considering it has to be mounted facing a certain way etc etc. Can someone take a picture of where their airbag ecu sits for a 94-98 mustang and post it?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone know anything about airbags and clocksprings?

Bump
Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the clock spring plugs into a harness that runs down the column, if the wires are cut you must replace the harness in order for the system to work safely. no manufactuer allows splicing of air bag circuits. hope this helps
Old 05-03-2008, 04:01 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Well I went ahead and ordered the clockspring since I cannot splice the wires that are cut into the harness. It just came in today. So, I am going to go and try to see if I can put it in. Wish me luck!
Old 05-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Before you start, unhook your battery and wait a few minutes before working with the bag. Also, when you remove the bag, place it bag side up when you set it down. If, for some reason it goes off, you don't want it to go anywhere. Some times plugs are left under the column unpluged, for options you may not have. The spring should plug in right under where it is removed from in the column. Where are these cut wires at? Are they black wires?

Sure I will think of more in time...
Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Ah, the airbag was not hooked up to begin with. All I have done so far is remove the airbag by removing the two screws from the side of the steering wheel that hold it in place. I had to go buy a torx screw and a steering wheel puller. The wires that were cut, one is in a yellow sheath which comes from the clockspring, and the other is black, which also comes from the clockspring, the only one that was not cut was attatched to the ignition. I am now trying to figure out how to mount the airbag ecu. I found the plugs for it around the gas pedal...but...I cannot figure out where to mount it, escecially considering it has to be mounted facing a certain way etc etc. Can someone take a picture of where their airbag ecu sits for a 94-98 mustang and post it?