General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

failed inspection

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 PM
ride_maine
1st Gear Member

Default failed inspection

hey guys, i just failed inspection on my 97 cobra because I have worn tie rod ends. There is a good amount of play when moving the wheels and its quite noticeable while driving too since the car isn't tracking straight and the steering isn't responsive. So my question is which ends should I buy, I hear this is no place to cheap out. If one's from like Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts aren't good enough what will better ones cost, what size shank, bore, etc should they be. What angle is a typical rod end for this car and how tight do they need to be torqued? I believe there press in and not sealed bearings so do I still need to use a special puller tool? Sorry for the easy questions and long post but I don't have a manual and I've never replaced these on a car before. Thanks so much.
[/align]
Old 05-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: failed inspection

Get something in "Moog". they are good parts and available most places. Don't remember the torque, but think it's only like 30 lbs or something. You don't need special tool, just loosen nut and hit the spindle end with a hammer a few times usually breaks them loose. You will need to have your "toe-in" reset afterwards though.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:32 PM
sYckmYnded
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: failed inspection

k im a lil lost,, there is no bearing or nothing on your tierod end, simply count the threads that u can see and pop off the castle nut flip it around and gently hit the nut from below till the rod pops from its seat then unwind the end off the shaft , the moog is a great brand and a life time warrenty and you can get them at autozone napa or any parts store, when you put the end back on turn it down till you have the same number of threads showing on the rod then pop it back in its seat and tighten the castle nut down as tight as u can by hand then adjust to line up the cotter pin hole, replace cotter pin!!! then drive to you local tire shop for a front end alighnment asap.. have fun, its a easy job