General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Restoring 66 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:32 AM
DMcC

Default Restoring 66 Mustang

Hello there guys!
A buddy of mine has a 66 mustang that he has dismantled and was planning on restoring, but never got around to it. He told me that before it was taken apart the car drove fine, and all of the parts are there, guaranteed. Has the 302 V8, 3 spd Auto. No body damage, practically no rust. New tires, fairly new brakes. Interior is all there and good condition. The car was garaged kept since he got it and is fairly well taken care of.
He'll sell it to me for $1,800 bucks, and I'm wondering, being that I have no previous experience with restoration, where is a good place to get...a walk-through, so to speak, to help me through. I don't want to go in blind-sited, and I want to have some idea what I'm heading into.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 07:07 PM
drew50
1st Gear Member

I know you can buy restoration guides at book stores like Barnes and Noble. I would recomend trying to find someone locally that would be able to help that way they could see it first hand. I know thats easier said than done. But Mustang people do stick togethor.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

If the car is a complete body off resto job but everything is there it's only a matter of puttin' everything back together.

HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!

These things can take forever and I'll bet you'll find parts missing or unuseable.After all,if it's all there and in reasonable shape why didn't he finish it himself.
If you have a spare room for a long term basket case go ahead and get it,but if long term projects aren't your cup 'o tea,you might be better served leaving it alone.I mean,all those car restoration shows lead people to believe it's a piece of cake to rebuild a car to showroom condition.Well unless you have a LOT of special tools to do this kind of work you can multiply the expected time by about ten.That's to do the work yourself,farm it out and the cost gets multiplied by ten.

I did a basket case '42 Flathead chopper and it took me three years of fabricating,fitting,bending,buying,phone calls,running for parts,plating,replating my mistakes,figgerin stuff out,rebuying parts the first two owners screwed up,then getting it painted and road worthy.I did something to the POP (pile of parts) everyday.I can hear certain songs on the radio and I think about working on the chopper.You get the idea. I made my biggest mistake when I totaled up all the invoices.
I now have one of the absolute coolest chopped Harleys on the road and I'm sure without any doubt there's not another one in the world.(the engine is a 74 cubic inch and they're rare as frog hair)

I'm not saying to give up on your project,it's sounds worthwile,but do some serious thinkin' before you start handing over dollars.These things are a lot harder than they look.

Last edited by Chopper; 08-14-2008 at 08:53 PM.