General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lowering Springs vs Drag Launch springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering Springs vs Drag Launch springs?

I can't figure this out so someone help me.

I have heard lowering springs hurt weight transfer but noticably increase aerodynamics (I hear gains of 3% or higher coefficient of drag have been seen). Making lowering spring help acceleration at moderate or even low mph if you are already moving (roll racing, which I don't do, just trying to figure something out) and increase your highway mpg by a couple mpg.

But, drag launch springs raise your car a little bit I hear, but allow you to cut your 60fts down a tenth or two making you quicker in the 1/4 mile. But since you are higher off the ground aerodynamics will make you slower at higher speeds at the track like 65mph+ (where drag coefficient is very noticable) and will make you have a loss of 1 or 2 highway mpg.

Questions I have:
1. Do lowering springs make you have a slower 1/4 ET and hurt acceleration from a stop that much?
2. Do lowering springs really hurt 60fts?
3. Do drag springs help 60ft's that much on even near stock GT's?
4. Do drag springs noticably raise a car enough to hurt aerodynamics as bad as I hear?

Little bit of real life thing scenario, corvettes are very low to the ground with great aerodynamics and fly on the top end. Have a good amount of power and while being lower to the ground and not having great weight distrubition for the 1/4 mile, they cut 60fts like mustang gt's do with more power than them (aftermarket, supercharged, etc) and vette's fly on the top end (high mph speeds) due to their aerodymamics. I can't decide if I ever get to this mod, what I should do because it seems both have tradeoffs and I don't know which would be better for the 1/4 mile or acceleration in DD (while moving).
Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

im not an expert on this but soft springs may hurt you due to the weight transfer but that means more weight on the back so ur tires will bite so it could be a plus but if you got hard springs it would be a stiff ride but the transfer would be less. i would look at any race car setup and see that they are as low as they can go to be more aerodynamic and im sure there is a drag spring out there that will lower your car from stock height and give you greater aerodynamics with a stiff rating to reduce weight transfer but if you get springs that raise your car a tad i dont think itll hurt enough to notice because aerodynamics dont play a big enuff role until you get to the higher speeds i believe that aerodynamic stylings like spoilers only begin to effect the car at about 60 mphs and noticeable effects at 100

and if its a near stock gt get pipes and intake before springs if u want a lil better times if not that gears will help acceleration too