General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

mustang problems, Whats wrong with it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 PM
dstang88
1st Gear Member

Default mustang problems, Whats wrong with it?

93 mustang 2.3L automatic....Problem: I was driving to work and came to a red light and the car died as if i didnt push in the clutch on a manual. I tried to move but when i put it into gear it would die. I reved it up an it bumped into gear and got off the road. I waited a minute and tried it again. Now i had to rev the car to 5000rpm to move only 5mph. I did this for awhile an then it bumped and i drove it back home. I couldnt stop or it would die. Today I tried it some more but each time i put it into gear it will die. I cleaned the IAC valve an for some reason it will not die now when i put it into gear. There is a vibration tho. I will have to rev it to 5000rpm again an only move 5mph. I dont see how the IAC is my problem? When its in drive i can hear a shearing noise from the transmission i believe. The torque convertor come apart?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

1st. You should repost your question in the 4 cylinder section of the forums.
It sounds like it could be trans related. It could also be a broken catylic converter. I had mine break on me while driving on the Pa. turnpike and I lost almost all my engine power. I heard rattling and clanking, I thought it was my transmission that went. This was in a ford ranger with a manual trans. Jack the rear tires up and drive it. See it not having a load makes a difference.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:42 PM
dstang88
1st Gear Member

First thing when i get home i will jack the rear tires up an check thx .......might try unbolting it at the manifold also.........it would be crazy if all it is the convertor lol..... but when i place it into drive it makes a bad shearing noise now underneath. I mean i can put it into gear an its like its in neutral, it revs up fast like it is in neutral, but only move 5mph
Old 11-02-2008, 01:55 PM
ncplaya88
2nd Gear Member

sounds to me like the torque convertor just died........dont make sense how when u cleaned the iac it stopped dieing when placed into gear but maybe it just happened at that time an started back the way it first did