General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

V6 or V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Griffin39

Default V6 or V8

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum, but i wasnt to sure which one to put it in. So I have been looking at purchasing a 2005+ ford mustang. I like they way they look and it would be a fun car to have for sure. Havent decided weather i would go with the v6 or v8. v8 you get more power 300 hp, 310 ft/lb torque. Traction control, leather seats, fog lights, and dual exhaust are all standard. However you would pay more for insurance and of course gas. I got to test drive a v6 and it wasnt bad 210 hp and 240 ft/lbs of torque but it didnt pick up as much as i would have like. However they would be cheaper to buy then a GT, also insurance would be less and i would save on gas. I would like to beat my friends 2000 BMW 328 cause all he does is calls down mustangs about how ugly and how bad there handling is. Which neither is true. The mustang is at the top of my list for the car im going to buy. I was also looking at 2000-2002 audi S4 but i dont know. BTW this is my first car and im buying used.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:45 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Get what you can afford. Dont get a GT if you dont think you can handle the payments. Life lesson right there TRUST ME.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Dont buy a car because one guy talked smack, trust me, people talk smack and try to race all the time in a stang. It's just the way it is.

Get what you want, and as stated above, what you can afford.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

You should buy which car would make YOU happier. Appearance is a difference of opinion & there's nothing you can do about it. Alot of my friends think the '05+ is an awesome looking car, I dont. Likewise alot of people think my sn95 or my fox's look ugly, I disagree. If it looks good to you then get it. Mustang's handling is definitely not the greatest so your friend wasn't entirely wrong, but they've came a long way from what they had. Honstly all of my foxes in stock form handled like a huge truck (no offense to truck people) It felt like the only way I could take a 90 degree turn quickly was if the turn was over a 1/2 mile stretch. Same applies for braking, definitely wasn't the greatest stock. The newer mustangs have came quite a way from that though, but still they don't handle as good as ALOT of cars out there. As for your friend bashing them, I'm sure he'll run into one that will put him in his place eventually. If it makes you feel any better, one of my friends stomped another of my friends '99 328i, the worst thing about it was the mustang was a turbo 4 cylinder not a v8.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:10 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you should get a GT, they aren't that expensive and the gas isn't going to be much different from the V6. If you can afford the insurance I'd definitely look at the GTs.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
Sounds like you should get a GT, they aren't that expensive and the gas isn't going to be much different from the V6. If you can afford the insurance I'd definitely look at the GTs.
call and get an ins quote first, my last quote for an 04 GT was $10 a month cheaper then my 02 V6
Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
call and get an ins quote first, my last quote for an 04 GT was $10 a month cheaper then my 02 V6
make sure they know what they are talking about though when you get the quote, we called and they said it would go up about $20 a year from my V6 when I got my gt, but it actually went up $600 (when I have a clean record/going on 21).

I say pick what what you want, but if you are thinking you want the GT now, then you are probably going to regret getting the V6 if you go that route. I would think an 05+ V6 would be able to easily hang with that model BMW too btw...
Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

The insurance is cheaper on my V8 mustang then it was on my 115HP 4cyl JEtta.

V8 or don't buy a mustang at all.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah man seriously get the GT. Many people regret getting the sixxer and end up taking a hit and trading it in for a GT. The insurance shouldn't be too much more and the MPG won't be that much less in the GT.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 AM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

If you want to take your buddy better not get the v6. They are just so weak, my old boss had a 2005 v6 and it was pathetic.

Your buddy can talk crap about handling since he's got a beamer.