General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 Mustang GT Stock, looking to improve performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Icomey

Question 2001 Mustang GT Stock, looking to improve performance

Hi, I'm new. I don't know a lot about engines or modifications, and I don't have any experience, but I've always had an slight interest in it. Any my fiancee has a 2001 Mustang GT, and we've been discussing trying to improve it's performance.

Unfortunately, neither of us have any experience, and have no clue where to start. I've read a bit here and there, and it seems that suspension seems to be the way to go for starting, but I don't entirely know what all the terminology I'm reading is.

For the record, we are planning on doing a little at a time, here and there, and probably spending a total of around $5000 or maybe a little more, we're not completely sure.

If anyone has any suggestions on what we could do, and how to get started with everything, that would be awesome.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Smasher O'Brannan

read and research! Find out what engine is in it first and start looking for whats out there for more performance, not sure what or how something will affect the output, google it and you can get a good explanation. for starters, I wouldn't worry at all about suspension, its good enough for what you want to do, I would look into an aftermarket computer chip, maybe underdrive pulleys, cold air intake kit, better flowing mufflers, to start. Now that to me isn't nothing really, but the more you read the better idea youll have on what you actually want out of the car, and whats achievable at different levels of budget and experience. Simple bolt-ons, to finally stroking one out for max displacement and forced induction. In my own opinion mind you, theres no "real" power tricks there untill you open the stock block yank the innards out and start bolting on serious performance parts like cams, heads, induction systems, etc. Then your ready to wax imports and chebbys all day long!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

^^^2001 GT will have a 4.6L 281 c.i. 2v....O_o

Most people start with:
exhaust: mufflers, x/h o/r pipe, headers.
induction: CAI, T/B, Plenum
engine: UDP, Tuner, etc.

Those are simple mods you can do without breaking the bank.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Icomey

Thanks for the advice. I know I said it was stock, but I'm not really sure that it is, it was bought salvaged, the previous owner ran it off the road. All it really messed up was deploying the airbags. and the front bumper had to be pulled forward, but it looks great now. Anyway, how would I know which parts are stock and which aren't? I know it already has some beautiful sounding pipes on it.

Another thing I'm curious about is what brands would you recommend for the various bolt ons?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
therat1989
1st Gear Member

Take a picture of the engine bay and look under the car and tell me if the mid pipe or the exhaust tips have aftermarket labeling on them. (Borla,BBK,Magnaflow,Flowmaster,etc)
Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Icomey
Thanks for the advice. I know I said it was stock, but I'm not really sure that it is, it was bought salvaged, the previous owner ran it off the road. All it really messed up was deploying the airbags. and the front bumper had to be pulled forward, but it looks great now. Anyway, how would I know which parts are stock and which aren't? I know it already has some beautiful sounding pipes on it.

Another thing I'm curious about is what brands would you recommend for the various bolt ons?
Yes take a pic of the engine bay, aftermarket mods are usually a piece of cake to spot.
Research the forums. See a aftermarket brand you like? Search it.

Heres some good: Accufab, C&L, Steeda, K&N.
Heres some bad: BBK, PP, AEM.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

if you plan on spending around $5K, why mess around with bolt ons that wont do too much for you? 2Vs just dont respond very well to them.

id drop most of that money into a supercharger and call it a day.