General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 PM
steelecd

Question Grinding noise

Whenever I take off kinda slow and I shift into second gear i hear some kind of grinding noise (after the shift is complete) Its not the same grind that you would get as if you miss the gear its more like its originating from the center of the car, very subtle. (rear gear grind?) Also, it is very difficult to shift into second gear and when im flooring it and try to shift into 3rd, its almost impossible. Almost like there is a wall there keeping me from going into 3rd. Do I need a new clutch because its almost like the shift gate doesnt even open. I almost have to wait 2 or 3 seconds and then shift into 3rd. What ever it is it doesnt sound good but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

If you are idling in neutral, press the clutch pedal to the floor. Will it easily slip into all the gears?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 AM
steelecd

Yeah it does. Everytime I get in the car I do that just to see if it will go in the gears. Its always a little notchy, but I just attribute that to the tri-ax. I changed my transmission fluid about 5 or 6k miles ago. After that it would shift like a dream. But lately the grind and the "wall" when shifting into 3rd have me worried. As far as the grind, it even does it when I start off very slow if 1st. Now, if I take off really quick, it wont do it...or at least I cant hear it over the exhaust.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

There are no gates waiting to open. Only a synchronizer trying to match the gear speed. Once it's matched, it'll slip right in. That's why it works with the engine off. Everything is at 0 rpm.

If the speed is not matched then synchro will try to speed up or slow the gear. That's why a clutch must be disengaged so the disc is free to change speed (if neccessary). So here comes the question of the hour. Is your clutch disengaging? How far up is the pedal when it starts to engage?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
deaverj

check your slave cylinder it could not be engaging all the way i had that problem on my 95 ranger it had water and air in the lines so every time u shifted it would grind and would be really heard to get in gear so after we got done bleeding it there was no problems
Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM
steelecd

Well I thought about that. I was wondering if the clutch was even disengaging when I try to shift into third. If its not, what do you think my next step is? I really appreciate your help Jfsram.

Deaverj: Where is the slave cylinder? Is this something I can accomplish with a set of jack stands and garage tools?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
deaverj

the slave cylinder is what in gauges you throw out bearing it should be located on the side of the transmisstion the clutch master cylinder has a line running down to it it has a bleeder screw it is just like bleeding breaks so yeah you should be able to do it with what you got. if you have a haynes manule or a auto repair manule on the car it should tell you more about it