General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

unusual noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Darkhan

Default unusual noise

Recently while driving, i've noticed an unusual noise coming from underneith the car. Since having an aftermarket exhaust system, it can make hearing the noise a little difficult but it is easy to distinguish nevertheless. The noise is a low rumbling or rubbing (grinding sound) and cannot reproduce it upon request. It does not happen during idle or revving the engine in neutral. It is not exclusive to up-shifting or down-shifting or at different speeds or turns which can make this frustrating. I have isolated the noise coming from underneith the driver side console and have isolated anything in the interior causing the noise. I have had no problems with my aftermarket exhaust system and have installed the system myself completing everything 18months ago. The car drives and handles fine at all speeds and gears.

I spent approx. 2 hours under the car doing a quick inspection checking the headers for any loose bolts or leaks. I shook on the entire exhaust system and could not find any anomalies. I have tested the clutch by having it at idle and pushing in the clutch to hear the change in the engine - which sounds normal. The only thing I noticed that I could not identify was a penetration in the driver side firewall approx. 4" above the exhaust manifold (headers in my case). It appeared to be some sort of drain with no connection in the proximity of the opening. It does however, drip onto my headers.

I do drive the car hard at times (it's a mustang - heh) but take gentle care of it. My suspicions are leading me to my U-joint but with only 20k on the odometer, it strikes me odd. I haven't checked them as of yet but wanted to post this to see if there are any other ideas of where to place my concern.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:41 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Default RE: unusual noise

Are you sure the exhaust isnt rubing the driveshaft???The dripping your talking about is condesation from the Ac condeser there is tube the water drips from out of the heater box