General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter Clutch Cut-out Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:28 AM
JWilliamCupp

Default Starter Clutch Cut-out Switch

My manual transmission requires the clutch to be fully depressed to start the engine. I am considering installing a bypass switch to manually override this when desired. Elsewhere in this forum, I found
Originally Posted by MeanStang08
The Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) switch is at the top of the clutch pedal.
Originally Posted by mjr46
down on the clutch quadrant at the top there is a switch...when clutch is let out the switch is normally open...pushed in closed...it should be a two wire /prong switch ..if so disconnect and join two wires together
I am not installing a remote start kit ... here's the scene: it's snowing like crazy, the car is covered by snow, and it's ice cold inside and out. What I want to do is start the engine and defroster, then start sweeping the snow off.

I'm thinking of a switch that I can throw by hand which will allow me to start the car by leaning in, not getting in. That way I don't have to fill the seat and floor with snow just to get the engine started.

I see the risk in accidentally leaving the switch "on" and later trying to start the car in gear. I thought I'd post here to get a discussion of this idea. Where to locate the manual switch? Would a lighted rocker switch help remind me that is it "on"? etc. ...

- Bill
Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JWilliamCupp

I see the risk in accidentally leaving the switch "on" and later trying to start the car in gear.

- Bill
Yes trust me someday that absolutely WILL happen. Not at first because you'll obviously be careful but sooner or later you'll forget and, ouch!

I've got the same problem as you, living in Snow country I want to start the car and then go around clearing off the snow. Even if the car is COVERED in snow, if you very gently open the driver door none will fall into the car. Then stick your right foot on the clutch pedal & start the car. It really isn't that tough.

The remote starter option isn't cheap either! But they do include safeguards to ensure you don't start the car with the tranny in gear.