General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

advice on purchasing a 2001 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
nepk0414

Default advice on purchasing a 2001 mustang

The asking price is $4000.00 for the V6 convertible

What questions should I be asking in terms of some of the problems that either have occured or could occur to the car?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Mirage
1st Gear Member

$4000 for a '01 V6 is prety reasonable, probably has some minor damage and has about 50% left on the tires. Expect to spend around $5500 total on the car to get it in perfect condition. Since this is your first post I am writing on the (probably incorrect) assumption that you know nothing about buying cars. This is not an insult or attack on your character, I'm just covering all bases.

Here is what I always do when I look for cars. First cary a notebook and pen with you to the dealer/seller. Write down anything you either dislike about the car, or stuff that is just plain broken. Aside from making you look like you know what you're doing (which you should), anytime you write something down without telling the seller what it is, it gives you the upper hand when you start haggeling. The less you talk the more authoratitive you are... Remember that if you seriously consider buying the car.

1. Show me the Carfax. Invaluable resource...
2. Look for any traces of accidents (body parts that look newer or have reflection errors). If the car has had ANY accidents near the engine bay, front end or front fender, use EXTREME caution, something important is probably damaged.
3. Take a good long look at the underbody, checking for rust holes and broken parts.
4. Take a good long look under the hood. This is not just a show of power however; check for rusted headers, cracked lines, and any rust on the engine or on the engine bay.
5. Note any modifications the car may have. Cold Air Intake is usuialy the first thing bolted on. Check for aftermarket exhaust or fart-can (the latter strongly suggests some dipsh*t drove it like a McLauren on crack and probably killed the suspension). If it has any major mods (Flowmaster duel exhaust, supercharger or turbo, new headers, cams ect... ask some members here to evaluate its current horsepower.

---Stop here if you have already decided against the car.

6. Do a through interior check, look for torn upholstry (or leather), torn headliner and make sure the CD player and radio work (the 6-cd changer is known to fail). This is also a great time to check for any dead speakers.
7. Check the tires for treadware, if they are almost bald (google "penny tire test") the cost of 2 tires + mounting is ~$275 that you will need to pay later.

My favorite strategy before haggling...
8. Say you will think about it and *MIGHT* come back later after you drive a GT... This is of corse total BS, but it tells them that you aren't so in love with the car that you will pay whatever they ask. Show up the next day and ask to drive the V6, make various comments about the difference between a V6 and a GT while in the car (not too negative mind you). Note the difference in acceleration, handling ect...

Now you should have a full notebook of various BS problems you can use to help you haggle the price down to whatever you want (within reason). The rest is up to you.

Last edited by Mirage; 10-31-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
nepk0414

Default thanks . . .

For the advice, and yes I don't know a whole lot about everything you mentioned above.
Your advice is going to be very usefull.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:49 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

1) Carfax is a joke. I've seen several totalled cars or major damage cars go unreported.

2) The 1st major thing to look at in a 99-04 V6 Mustang is the passanger side header. It tends to crack from condensation from the AC dripping on it.

3) Look at wear on the passager side rear tire. It's going to tell you if it was beat on or not. Open diffs really wear down that side if the driver has been hard on the car.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Get under the car if possible (wear grubby clothes you dont care about) and check for oil leaks....besides that everything "Mirage" said is great advice to go with. Also take someone with you. Either a friend that knows about cars, or a parent, or someone like that. Just dont go alone.

Matthew
Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 PM
mmorningstar
1st Gear Member

+1 on Carfax being a joke.

Crawl all over that car, check for overspray in the wheel wells, that would indicate a repair, check the fender bolts under the hood, check around all the weatherstripping and look for overspray.

SINCE it's a VERT, with the top up, look over the backseat and check for water spots, if there is a leak water will pool back there and leave waterspots, if it looks overly clean or just wipped down back there, RUN!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

how many miles are on the car?

no you cant trust carfax, but it CAN uncover some stuff. just because carfax says clear do not automatically assume the car is good to go.

i would ask the guy if he has a problem taking you through one of those 2$ carwashes, or just spray it with his garden hose for a few minutes that way you can test the vert for leaks rather than just look for signs (perhaps it hasnt been rained on in a while if its been garaged up).

not to ruin the idea of this car for you, but what are your intentions with the car? would you be happy with the v6? are you wanting something quicker? you into drag racing/going to the track? my first nice car was a 99 v6 mustang when i was 17. at the time it was cool until the "newness" wore off the car and i wish i had a v8 and wished i would have shopped around a little longer. had a couple other cars after. now have an 03 gt and was extremely happy when i bought the car, but again after the "newness" wore off i was somewhat upset. looking back i wish i would have atleast gotten a 3v/4v or an F body (zips up flame suit, say what you want theres a little voice in all of us that wish we had an ls1 or something beefy under our hoods instead of the little o'le 4.6l 2v). so just make sure what your wanting out of the car before you buy it and wish u would have gotten a GT or something instead.

also, the convertible. are you REALLY wanting a convertible? or just car shopping and saw a vert and said hey yeah that'll be cool? convertible can add some headache to the maintenance on the car. exposes you to a whole new set of problems that a coupe would not (leaking top, someone slashing your top for whatever reason, motors burning out, etc...). if you know what your getting into and are ok with having a convert, cool. but just make sure thats what your wanting before you buy it also.

4000$ is a reasonable price, i would always try to take a few hundred bucks off negotiationg tho. but i have seen gt's and 96-98 cobras for not much more moeny than that. not sure what your budget is, but if you want a v8 you can get one for near that price range.