General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Starting issue.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Default Starting issue.

Ok, this questions isn't about a mustang... but it is about a Ford.

I have a buddy with a Taurus, not sure what year it is tho. It's the really bubbly looking ones.

Anyway... it recently over heated and had some pretty major problems. He took it to a shop and they replaced the heads and a few other things I beleive. But it had an issue that they never could figure out.

The car starts, but then if you turn it off and walk away for awhile and come back... it wont start anymore.

If you disconnect the ground on the battery and reconnect it... it will work.

Checked all fuses, and they're all good. The battery terminals are clean and in good condition. I followed all wires coming off the battery, and there are not breaks and they have a good connection.

I'm not sure what all parts the shop has replaced... but what typically would cause this problem??
Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 AM
toplessLx
1st Gear Member

check the wires on the starter. also what do u mean by not starting? will it turn over but not crank? will it just click? will it do nothing? are all the other lights on the car working when it does this?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:52 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by toplessLx
check the wires on the starter. also what do u mean by not starting? will it turn over but not crank? will it just click? will it do nothing? are all the other lights on the car working when it does this?

When you turn the key there will be a click... and then nothing... I think I remember the dash lights being on... never checked anything else.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a bad battery ground connection. If it's a side post battery, check to make sure that the nut that is embedded in the post that the cable bolt screws into hasn't broken loose. I have seen it where the nut breaks loose and even though the bolt is tight in it, you get a ****ty connection. The first time it happened to me it drove me crazy for two freakin' days trying to figure out what the hell was happening. Come to think of it, I think it was in a Taurus too. LOL
Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hiboostwoody
Sounds like a bad battery ground connection. If it's a side post battery, check to make sure that the nut that is embedded in the post that the cable bolt screws into hasn't broken loose. I have seen it where the nut breaks loose and even though the bolt is tight in it, you get a ****ty connection. The first time it happened to me it drove me crazy for two freakin' days trying to figure out what the hell was happening. Come to think of it, I think it was in a Taurus too. LOL
I thought it was a ground issue too... but everything seemed to have nice clean tight connections... i'll have to recheck them tho.

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Make sure the other end of the ground cable is tight. Also make sure the body ground straps are all hooked up. Bad grounds can cause all sorts of wierd stuff.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
toplessLx
1st Gear Member

power solinoid. The old fords had them on the fender well beside the battery. im not sure about the taurus but my old truck has a problem with its