General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gear ratios, RPMs, and Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Post Gear ratios, RPMs, and Speed

Well my speedo cable broke this morning, and I'm not going to be able to get around to fixing it until later in the week.

To help myself in the meantime, I've slapped together a little spreadsheet to figure out how fast I'm going. After I made it, I figured people around here could use it, because there are often questions about how fast one's stang will be going at a given engine RPM with a particular gear setup.

This spreadsheet takes as inputs your FD ratio, transmission gear ratios, and rear wheel/tire specs, and spits back your theoretical speed in 500RPM increments from 1000 to 6000 in each gear. It could easily be modified for 6 speeds, higher RPM's, or metric units (kph).

Hopefully this will keep me from getting any tickets this week, and will help other people to choose gear ratios wisely (after tinkering with it, I'm finally set on 3.73's ).

Attachment included as a zip file containing an Excel spreadsheet (.xls) and one in OpenOffice format (.ods).

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
gear_speeds.zip (24.9 KB, 4 views)