General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hit Brakes - Car goes Left

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Hit Brakes - Car goes Left

ORIGINAL: Ford68pony

Hopefully someone knows what might be going on...

I am also hoping this is just a bleeder problem, I haven't had a chance to bleed the brakes yet. But when I press on my brakes the car wants to start going left. Now this isn't too bad a problem as I can counterstear when in my small town, but if I have to hit the brakes on the main road (higher speeds) which I have not been on yet, this could be very very bad... The car was sitting for about 3 years before I got it running again... Anyone got any idears?

Thanks
You didn't mention what year Mustang it is. If it's 68 I'm betting you have drums? Eitherway, it could be a few things, bleeding will more than likely not help. It's either a stuck wheel cylinder (if drums on front) or a stuck caliper (if disc on front), OR it could be the proportioning valve is contaminated. You will be bleeding the brakes regardless if you change or repair a cylinder/caliper. If that doesn't fix it then it's the proportioning valve.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:48 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UhadMEatGT

I would guess its your right front caliper that is frozen. It sounds like your left is doing its job and your right caliper isnt, hence pulling to your left. It may have been fine when put up, but sitting can be just as hard on car parts as high mileage driving, so just because it was fine before you parked it really doesnt mean much. Hope this helps.

Correctamungo......It does not need to be bled.if it was fine when you put it away it didnt mysteriously get air in them.

Punisher,Bleeding the brakes is very easy and very easy to say in text if you know how to do it.Take off the wheels you want to bleed and get a buddy to sit in the car,Next get a 8 mm wrench and find the bleeder screw on the top of the caliper and make sure it will turn,sometimes there frozen in.Its less messy if you get a hose to put on it cause whatever you get brake fluid on thats painted it will remove the paint very fast.Stick a hose on the bleeder and run it in a pan or cup.Make sure the screw is somewhat tight and have your buddy in the car pump the brakes three time and hold them.While hes holding them you loosen the bleeder screw till the brake peddle goes to the flloor inside and then tighten it(bleeder) before he lets go of the peddle.Keep doing this process till you see no air coming out anymore being careful to keep the master full cause if you suck air you'll have to keep doing it till its out.Some people say to only pump the peddle once and them open the bleeder but I have always done three or four pumps and never had a problem.Keep this process going till it has a nice and hard pedle.Its easiest if you use a clear line on the bleeder so you can see the fluid and air coming out.This can be done with one person if you buy a brake pump or any little pump you can backfeed the system up from the caliper and pump all the air out to the top but that is for more experianced mechanic and if I was you I would get my buddy to help

And it definatly not your rear brakes its the front.It makes me worry when people answer tech questions that arent sure or dont know what the problem is.There should be a test you have to take to answer tech questions on here.Someones going to end up hurt cause of it and we are loosing members cause of all the nonsence tech answers on here.I'm not talking about anyone in general either its about everyone.If you dont know answers to tech ?s dont answer,I know everyone is trying to help but its serious when your giving bad info on mechanical things and its getting bad on here
Old 08-02-2005, 12:16 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

^^how was that not hard to put into text?

u just hada write a page on it! and im sorry if my short explination of bleading breaks got

any1 killed or seriously injured, but as far as im concerned, i didnt give any "bad"

info in my previous post....
Old 08-02-2005, 03:05 AM
Ford68pony

Thanks for the feedback Peeps..... I didn't want to end up tearing apart my car without knowing where to start..... I was thinking the right front but I wanted to hear it from someone more exp... I don't like messing around too much with breaks, but I'll break otu a can of WD-40 and spray the hell out of my breaks... (Just kidding). I'll take a look around in there and see if it has rusted up inside and what I 'll need to do to get it going again... Yes they are drum brakes (gonna be a while before I can afford a disc brake kit). Thanks again everyone, time for me to go and hit the books....

Old 08-02-2005, 05:52 AM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Also, thanks alot for help on bleeding the brakes. I'm going to do that tomorrow hopefully and now I think I could even do it without glancing at my haynes manual! Very good description.....now to see if I can just do it........