General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

eager to learn more about my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 PM
shutupsocks

new question: does it matter how long after you replace the clutch you get the flywheel resurfaced???

like i said, money has been an issue for a while. my clutch was replaced more than a year ago and my car has been riding rough this whole time
Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 AM
malkaysi

Normally when a clutch is replaced, if the flywheel isn't flat and free of defects you should resurface it. I couldn't tell you how bad it might have gotten (since I don't know the condition it was in when the new clutch was installed) but driving on a worn out flywheel can reduce the life of the clutch.

You normally would resurface the flywheel before installing a new clutch
Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM
shutupsocks

right, i get that now, i didn't know that when i my friend put the new clutch on for me, so what i'm asking is, is that the reason my clutch vibrates in the floorboard and will it make a difference having the flywheel resurfaced long after the clutch has been replaced is it a mute point after all this time?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
malkaysi

It can't hurt to have the flywheel resurfaced now.

As for whether or not it has caused any damage, short of having it looked at, the best way to tell is to resurface the flywheel and then seeing if your problem persists.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

when you go into a shop, try not to let on that you dont know about cars. Go in, say, I need you to fix my AC, when they ask whats wrong, tell them it only comes out the defrost vents. And leave it at that, the less you say, the better. As they will pick up that you dont know, and they will hose you. And if they tell you what is wrong, and you agree to have it fixed, and what they do doesnt work, then tell them your not paying for it. They'll argue with you, but they have no right to keep your car as they will tell you, and if they promise to fix somthing, then they have to deliver. Also, when they quote you the man hrs on a specific job, ask to see the book that shows the labor involved. They cant charge more hrs for the job than what the labor book shows, although most places hose people that way, even if they say, " I had two guys working for 5 hrs " thats not YOUR problem. If the book says it takes 3 hrs to do, then thats the labor you pay for, its not YOUR fault places have ****ty mechanics...
Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Your AC coming out of the wrong spot is a quick fix. It's usually one of the vacuum lines on the back of the control panal just popped loose.

The load of crap you were told about O2 sensors being welded into your mufflers is..well, crap. And it's NOT a $1500 repair. O2 sensors are threaded into the mid pipe. They are spendy, but it's something you can change yourself with a jack, jack stands, an open end wrench and a free hour on your weekend. They look like spark plugs, and will be in the pipe about directly under the doors of the car. If you climb under and look, you'll see what I mean. They have wires running to them. There are four in total - 2 per side. The 'top' or 'upstream' sensors are up closer to the exhaust manifolds coming off the motor. The 'lower' or 'downstream' sensors are behind the cats, right before the pipes come into the Y that puts two pipes into the single pipe leading to your muffler.

Flywheel should have been surfaced when the clutch was done. I'm wondering if he didn't mess something up when torquing it down.

Window issue could be as simple as the switch ro a loose wire in the door.