General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new member 1988 mustang gt vert supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM
88tirefire

Originally Posted by thor'svr4
Just to double check, are you actually driving the car or revving it in neutral? I’m not sure about a supercharger but I know that a turbo will NOT build any boost unless the engine is under load. If your not under load (ie driving the car) the boost gauge will just go to 0 and that’s it. I’ve had some pretty bad boost leaks before, but I’ve never had 0 boost while driving the car under load. I’ve even had an intercooler pipe slip out of the cupper and was still able to build 2-3psi.

The only thing that really confuses me is that a supercharger should at least make some noise.
yah thats while driving it. today i sip tied a couple hoses and hose clamped a couple really loose ones, and while driving i got it to i think around 1PSI. how high of RPMs will i start making good boost? because im pretty sure that was at like 3500-4000
Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
thor'svr4

when the car is off what the gauge read? also at idle? you should see something like 0psi when the car is off, -9ish when the car is idling. if you have a mechanical gauge you might even see something like -17 at idle. I’ve got no clue as to why mechanical gauges always seam a bit off for vacuum but spot on when in boost.

the exact numbers arent really important since they prob vary a bit from car to car, but im just curious as to weather or not your gauge is hooked up correctly. it might not be a bad idea to just buy some POS autozone $10 boost gauge and some new vacuum line just to verify if the gauge you have right now is working or not.

if your boost gauge seams to be working and is hooked up to a good vacuum source but you just cant get above 0psi than i would start trouble shooting the supercharger. I don’t really have any in-depth s/c knowledge but I would still just look for simple things. Pull it off and inspect it for anything obviously wrong.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 AM
88tirefire

it is a mechanical gauge, and i read around -18psi when at idle, 0psi when off.

ive looked into some supercharger trouble shooting, and i couldn't find much. a few things i found said that as long as its not seized and still spinning its working.