General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Care

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Default Car Care

Some of you might think of this as a silly question, but humor me. Say you want to keep your car around for a long, long time. Ok, I know all the recommended things to do at certain mileage, but this is generally for a plain ole daily driver. I'm not overly rough on my car, but I like to punch it a lot. When it comes to wear and tear, what is usually gonna give first? What do I need to replace in my car, and when? How long are quality, coated headers going to last before they need to be replaced? Transmission? Clutch?

I am fanatic about oil changes, and I'm looking at switchin' over to amsoil but need to do some more research first. What about manual tranny fluid?

I know "this and that" about cars and can and often do a lot of the work myself, but THIS is how I learn. Teach me!
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car Care

I wouldn't worry about replacing things til you need to. It's almost impossible to predict what is gonna fail and when.
As far as oils, I'm now a big fan of synthetics. I use Mobile1, and when I do my tranny service(soon), I'll go to synthetic tranny fluid. Probably Royal Purple. Amsoil is GREAT! Used it before. Just not readily available where I live.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Wear and tear on your GT will typically occur first with the IAC, TPS, Transmission....

Your rear will last a very long time unless you have a fetish for laying down patches of rubber every chance you get, I've yet to hear of one failing from normal driving. If you change the oils in your engine, don't use your engine for braking, don't excessively downshift, you will help it live a long life since you won't be putting so much negative load on the internals. I cringe when I see people revving and downshifting to slow down for lights, sure it's fun to do and I'm sure all of us do it from time to time, but it really puts a heavy load on the engine.

It's really all about your driving habits, your stock clutch could last to 100,000 miles or even more, I highly doubt it will, but with a normal driver who doesn't feel the need to feather out the clutch and run hard it'll probably last a very long time.

You should really get current with changing your transmission fluid, they are all called ATF (automatic transmission fluid) for the most part, so don't get confused. Some people claim if you've gone 80,000 miles without a transmission flush or fluid change that it's a good idea to just leave it alone, as so much of the gunk and build-up is literally keeping the transmission from coming apart and violating your bank account.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:01 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

i have 80k on mine now and i think the clutch is going to need replaced real soon
Old 09-21-2005, 02:43 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

I drive a manual, not an auto....I know there is some kind of manual transmission fluid system, how often should I worry about it?