General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Triton 5.4L Uses

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 AM
ccomfort12

Default Triton 5.4L Uses

New to this site and from what I have read everyone seems to be open to helping others and guide in the right direction.

I have aquired a running Triton 5.4 V8 from a 2000 E Series Van. I know there are some differences with this block, however, what types of swaps can I do with this? Can this be used for a mustang build or would it have to remain as a truck motor?

I am hoping I can use the block for a mustang build since I have 2 cars with no motor and have been preparing for a build to put into one of them, if this block works and gives me added displacement up front I would be very excited!

Thank you guys
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt have the slightest on what's all involved, but its definately been done

Click here

From what I read, its a pain in the ***.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM
1slomaro
2nd Gear Member

Would be an awesome build if you do!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 PM
ccomfort12

35 married with 3 kids working 60 hours a week, pain in the *** and awesome build seem like they fit right in! I will keep digging and who knows maybe give it a shot!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

So you have an 87 and 93? They make K-members specifically for the 4.6 fox swap, don't know if the motor mounts are the same for the 5.4, but if they are then you're in luck because the hard stuff would be done. Next is making it fit width wise, pretty sure those are the widest engines since 70's big blocks, and neither were made to fit in a fox. I would assume some strut tower and firewall mods are involved, which is a pretty involved job for someone who really knows metal. Then you need to fit a tranny that works with the 5.4, which would probably require transmission tunnel mods, shifter relocatioin etc. Hopefully you have the computer that came with the 5.4. You're also going to need a cowl hood as I am pretty sure those engines are tall enough that you'd need to cut out a stock hood.

Now, the cool stuff about this swap is that the 5.4 is a pretty solid power maker. What you should do is look for a 5.4 lightning supercharger and strap that bastard on there. You'll basically end up with is an 03-04 cobra with almost a full extra liter of displacement. Also, a friend of mine researched a cobra IRS swap for his fox, and from what he told me it's just drilling 4 holes and running 4 nuts and bolts to fasten it to the car and it's basically done. Then you'd have a pretty solid handler.

Keep in mind that all this costs ALOT, and not just money. You're going to have to pour alot of man hours into making everything fit and mesh properly. If you're okay with that, then go for it!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 AM
ccomfort12

I actually have several fox cars including an 88 coupe, 90 GT vert and a 91 hatch. The GT currently ha a DSS 331 with twisted wedge heads and street heat intake, but its my baby, white on white on white with the gray bullet rims and tremec, I just really dont like the SLP exhaust, either do my neighbors!

The 88 coupe has a bad motor from a friend borrowing it and took out a curb which ended up cracking transmission, block, radiator, and so on so it may be the best candidate.

I have always been a fan of the older 65-69 cars as well, do you think this project would better suit a sweet classic build? We have the resources for manpower between several of us and are tooled pretty well as we can break down and put a motor in over a weekend. This will be a huge project for me and one that would have a lot of personal reward at the end.

I actually have the entire vehicle with the motor still in it. It is rated at 255 HP as is so I have the CPU, auto tranny wiring etc. Just need reassurance before I destroy something that it can be done.

Being its a truck motor, would it make more sense to buy a F-150 and fake a lightning?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM
ccomfort12

OK, after further review, I actually have a 4.6 Triton V8. I have not had a chance to see if this is the Romeo or Windsor version yet. Does anyone know which one is better as I have read there are differences between the two, I dont want to start a project and find out I have a rare version that is not compatible with other components out there.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 AM
KSBOWMAN

I am curious what your end result was? I am getting ready to put a Triton 4.6 from a 98 F150 into my 98 GT 4.6 convertible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 AM
ccomfort12

I actually scrapped the project and sold the car and motor and bought a new 5.0. Between work and kids it would be a 10 year project. Hope yours goes well.