General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1984 LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 AM
jstraymustang

Default 1984 LX

i have an 84 LX 3.8 with 76,000 original miles on it im wanting to supercharge it any product suggestions or site sugestions
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I would have serious reservations about an engine that old being able to stay together if you just toss a SC on it.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM
jstraymustang

I would go through it first but that's what im doing now but the car sat for about 18 years
Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

That motor is garbage, and I don't know if they have an aftermarket for them either. If you go put a supercharger on it, you're going to need to upgrade other things to get full potential out of the supercharger. If you don't, you're going to sell the SC short and you're basically wasting your money. I don't even know if they sell bolt on kits for that thing, you'd have to find a SC itself and get the tubing custom made, that gets kind of pricey.

What I would do is just get a 302 or 351, tear it down, put some decent parts on it and swap it in. There's a reason why people use those engines, they're good.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If the motor has been taken care of, it's far from garbage.
The aftermarket for the 3.8L is very specific, but it's there. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be the 700+ hp pushrod V6s running around.
Having a carb set up might make things a challenge, but it is workable.

A four eyed V6 can be a nasty thing with the right parts. Just sayin'.

Name:  10rs.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  29.3 KB
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
If the motor has been taken care of, it's far from garbage.
The aftermarket for the 3.8L is very specific, but it's there. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be the 700+ hp pushrod V6s running around.
Having a carb set up might make things a challenge, but it is workable.

A four eyed V6 can be a nasty thing with the right parts. Just sayin'.

For the amount of, undoubtedly, INSANE coin that was dropped into that 6-banger, you'll make more power on a v8. Sure it's different, and that's what hot rodding is all about isn't it? Being different? We can both agree there.

But this guy sounds like he wants power. And if he wants power WITHOUT having to do an insane build on a v6, he could just go buy a 302 or a 351 out of a yard/off CL for under $300, get a rebuild kit and rebuild it himself, and slap a centrifugal on it and make 300 to the tires.

Not trying to crap on the idea of v6 mustang performance because I honestly didn't even know it existed. But there must be a reason why almost no one does it. Just saying.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
jstraymustang

Im not getting a 302 bc this is gonna be my everyday driver. If I can put a turbo on it and a few parts and get 250 to the wheels im fine. I have a 421sbc for my tire shredding
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
For the amount of, undoubtedly, INSANE coin that was dropped into that 6-banger, you'll make more power on a v8. Sure it's different, and that's what hot rodding is all about isn't it? Being different? We can both agree there.

Not trying to crap on the idea of v6 mustang performance because I honestly didn't even know it existed. But there must be a reason why almost no one does it. Just saying.

First part is false. Didn't take a lot of money at all to build that car. In fact, it was done cheaper than the V8 swap to make the same power.

Funny thing about the second part of your quote is that there is an entire world of V6s out there that are set up with one point in mind - make power cheaper than the V8 swap. Just because you are unaware of it doesn't mean it's not there. If you do some searches on here, you'll see it's been proven over and over. The 3.8L pushrods respond very well to boost. A little head work and a cam to go with it and they'll embarrass a lot of unsuspecting people.

JstrayMustang - I made 247 @ the wheels with my N/A V6, it can be done. The older heads on your 3.8L flow less in stock form, but ported can flow equally to the newer style that showed up on the 9-04 cars. If you want to do something as simple as a turbo set up on and otherwise mostly stock motor, you'll reach your goal of 250 rwhp. Call Tom at Super Six Motorsports. They can point you in exactly the right direction. They used my M112 design and modified it to allow a carb with the newer style heads if you want to take that step. You can find split port heads (99-04) for a couple hundred bucks, do a bit of porting, use their intake, a good 4 bbl blow thru carb and then boost it.