General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel and rotor stuck! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Wheel and rotor stuck! Need help!

ORIGINAL: 182361rvw

Go to the local Autozone and rent a "Drum Puller", A giant 3 jaw puller. Remove your dust cap from the hub and center the puller bolt on the spindle. Set the jaws around the rotor and begin tightening the bolt. This will pull evenly on the rotor and anong with the large amount of Rust Buster you have used should allow the rotor to pop free. If it still sticks, give it a small hit on the back lower side with the hammer after you have the tension on the pulling jaws.
I really don't think a drum puller will work here. It will probably screw up the hub and bearing assy. Now that can get real expensive.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Lasered01
1st Gear Member

The only way I got both sides off was with a pulley puller and a hammer. After I assembled the passenger side I went around and pressed on the brake pedal to squeeze the rotor to keep it in place. I then put the wheel back on and went to the driver's side where I had hung the caliper and did I ever have a mess! In pushing the brake pedal I blew out one of the pistons; I lost enough brake fluid so that I now have air in the system and have to have it towed somewhere to get the system bled. (Fortunately I have towing insurance) Reassembling the piston into the caliper housing was not easy...if you ever have it happen you have to get the dust boot seatind in the caliper before you put the piston back in. If you put the piston in and then try to get the dust boot seated back into it's groove you'll just be frusterated. The only reason I am saying this is so that anybody reading this thread will know not to step on the pedal without anything to hold the pistons of the caliper in place. I have learned a valuable lesson in humility; it's definitely been a live and learn ordeal!

Thanks to everybody that gave input .
Old 10-10-2005, 01:42 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Rookie mistake! LOL. Sorry dude. I know you had a hard time. Just glad it all worked out for ya.
ORIGINAL: Lasered01

The only way I got both sides off was with a pulley puller and a hammer. After I assembled the passenger side I went around and pressed on the brake pedal to squeeze the rotor to keep it in place. I then put the wheel back on and went to the driver's side where I had hung the caliper and did I ever have a mess! In pushing the brake pedal I blew out one of the pistons; I lost enough brake fluid so that I now have air in the system and have to have it towed to get the system bled. Reassembling the piston into the caliper housing was not easy...if you ever have it happen you have to get the dust boot seatind in the caliper before you put the piston back in. If you put the piston in and then try to get the dust boot seated back into it's groove you'll just be frusterated. The only reason I am saying this is so that anybody reading this thread will know not to step on the pedal without anything to hold the pistons of the caliper in place. I have learned a valuable lesson in humility; it's definitely been a live and learn ordeal!

Thanks to everybody that gave input .
Old 10-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Lasered01
1st Gear Member

Big time rookie mistake! Live and learn...live and learn. I'll get it towed tomorrow and have the system bled. The barke fluid looks like it needs to be changed anyway.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:12 PM
yeayea0
2nd Gear Member

ya wd-40 it...let it sit...then pry that sucker off
Old 10-10-2005, 03:12 PM
yeayea0
2nd Gear Member

nm i didnt read the whole thing.....sry
Old 10-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Lasered01
1st Gear Member

No problem. Just to update the whole brake oredeal...I ended up getting my car towed to the Lithia dealer and had the fluid flushed and the system bled. It stops better than ever before now! I would recommend cross drilled rotors to anyone for street use...
Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

Had the same issue with mine. WD40 and a huge hammer and alot of patience worked for me-Shane
Old 11-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Lasered01
1st Gear Member

What part of the country do you live in? Do you get snow and do they use salt and de-icers?