General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuild Project Kick-Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 AM
JJRJR

Default Rebuild Project Kick-Off

Well, we found and are picking up tonight, a 1990 GT 5 speed. It has GT40 heads (iron) and long-tube headers. I think that is all of the performance related work done to the car. She's in nice shape and will make a nice platform for our rebuild.

I had posted that we were going to go with a 351, but for cost considerations we're going to pull the 302 out of the Mustang (137,000 miles) and just tear it down. I'd like to ask for opinions on certain matters:

1) I'd like to tear the block down and send to machine shop for cleaning, honing, etc. We're going with a budget build, but I'm thinking that with the bare block, it may not be that big of a deal to add a small stroker kit. What size stroker kits would you recommend? We don't want to stress the 302 too much as we are aware of their limitations, etc. My research tells me a stroker is relatively cheap and easy power. Thoughts?

2) I found a pretty cool site that goes through a budget build of a 302. www.302budgetbuild.com Not sure if anyone has ever reviewed the information in there, but is seems like it will be helpful to us.

3) Is there any value in having the GT40 heads redone and ported, or would it be better to just get a set of aluminum Edelbrock Performer heads? I've heard that the GT40 heads are a nice upgrade from stock, but that the Eddy heads are even better right out of the box.

4) Any nice cam recommendations for a build with a small stroker, Edelbrock RPM intake, nice heads? I've read that Comp Cams has some grinds specifically for stroker motors.

5) What structural upgrades will we need? Frame connectors, etc.?

6) Will that stock 5 speed hold up to say 350+ Torque? I hear they are rated for 300 TQ, plus this one is old. What are our options for a better, stronger tranny?

I'm sure I'll have a thousand more questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

John
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

You'd get alot more views and replies if you would have posted this in the Fox/SN forum, 79-95 Tech section. But I'll help with what I know. Frame connectors help alot with body flex and overall handling. Get the weld in type along with torque box reinforcement kit since your running a manual and increasing the power.

And the T5 can handle the power you'll be making no problem, as long as you treat the shifter handle like glass. They don't like abuse like speed shifting. Once in a while…… fine, but repeated strip abuse and you'll be yanking it out.