General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2006 V6 Pony Package Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 PM
Mustangjenny904

Angry 2006 V6 Pony Package Mustang

I am new to this site, and to be honest, I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to cars. I'm having an issue with my mustang and I'm getting desperate. I've owned the car since March 2014 and purchased it at 39k miles. It now has 74k. My car is an automatic.
Two weeks ago I noticed that when at a complete stop at a red light, when the light turned green and I'd let off the break without pressing the gas, my car would shudder forward. It didn't do it all the time, but sometimes. I figured I'd ask the mechanic behind my partners work (she works at a used car dealership). He said it sounded like I needed a tune up. He asked if I had one since I got my car and no I had not. He suggested he change the spark plugs and so I let him. He said one of my spark plugs would not go in. Apparently he forced it in and had put three washers around the plug to get it to wrench in.
He tells me my car is good to go and I get in and crank it. In park it is shaking and vibrating now. And when I put it in drive with the foot on my brake the car vibrates and gets loud real bad. My car, if you're standing outside of it, sounds noticeably louder as well.
The guy who "fixed" my car left and I was upset, so the mechanic next to where his shop is hooked up a device to my car to see what it said. It shown that cylinder 1 is misfiring a lot and cylinder 3 a little.
And I would also like to state while driving the car it sounds fine and acts like normal.
So another mechanic looks at my car and says "oh sounds like it needs a heli coil". (I'm having to work while these people are looking at my car) my partner picks me up from my break at work after the mechanic says it's fixed and o drive it. It's not. Turns out he didn't do the heli coil, he put new egr valves, new plugs, and new plug wires. So then he puts the heli coil in and says he has gotten rid of the majority of the vibration, but it still vibrates a little. He says he will have his friend mechanic with better equipment look at my car. He looks and claims to find nothing.
I pick my car up and it still runs the exact crappy same. So the heli coil didn't work, nor did changing my spark plugs again to motor craft ones, nor putting new plug wires.
I've dropped my car off at ford with the acceptance of a high bill probably. I won't know until two days from now, so while I wait, any one have any ideas??
Old 07-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Mustangjenny904

Well, finally decided to come back on here and post what it really was-- just in case someone ever encounters this problem. Ford tried to screw me over and told me my car had a blown head gasket and I had three options- 1) A brand new engine for 7 grand plus labor, 2) 5500 grand plus labor, or 3) A "Band Aid", which they didn't recommend. They claimed my thermostat sensor was messed up and coolant had leaked into cylinders 1,2, and 3.
Hysterical, I let my dad look at my car and he got in with me. At a dead stop the car would start to vibrate and shake, but then I slammed the gas and my car roared and drove off with full power like it always had- no shaking. My dad said there was no way in hell it was a blown head gasket and that I take it to his mechanic. So I did.
The cost to fix my "blown head gasket"? 370 bucks. Haha. Turns out it was my harmonic balancer. It was going bad and the bolt had been stripped. Everytime I was sitting at a red light not moving, the bolt was shaking loose, but when I would hit the gas the bolt was forced back down. It's been six months now and my car is still fine.
I am still in shock at the audacity of Ford and how badly they lied to me. Not just a little lie, but that was a humongous lie! What if I had went through with getting a new engine? BASTARDS!
Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Cool, glad to hear you found the problem.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:16 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Great news.

Shame it took 3 mechanics to find it.