General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Console Button Functionality

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 03:40 AM
tehnick

Default Console Button Functionality

I have a 2002 V6, and on the front console near the 12V adapter, there is a set of buttons. One is connected to my rear window defrosters, but 2 are blacked out with faceless plates. I removed the console to get an idea of how I would do it to paint the parts in the near future and noticed that these blanked out plugs do have wires running to them. I am curious as to what these buttons control, and if they are actually wired into the electrical system of the car. Does anyone know what they are for? If I could utilize them without having to drill holes or bitchrig something then that would be sweet. I have big plans for this lil car, and want to start on the interior first and work my way around to the exterior and under the hood.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2005, 03:44 AM
2000_v6_Pony

Default RE: Console Button Functionality

im alittle cunfosued by ur discription .. is this a stock car? if so it shouldnt have any wires running to the fuse box, everything should be conceled
Old 10-23-2005, 04:57 AM
tehnick

It is a stock car. There is the defroster button on the bottom left, then there are 2 spaces that have smooth black covers where other buttons would be if my car wasn't the base 2 dr coupe. when I remove the center console above the part that covers the shifter, I can see the plug to the defroster switch, however those 2 faceless button plates have similar plugs with wires coming out of them like they are wired to something in the car but there is no switch present. I will probably have to take pictures of this when I get home to demonstrate what I am talking about.

It's pretty strange...
Old 10-23-2005, 12:23 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

On my '02 GT, the center button turns the traction control on/off, and the right button turns the foglights on/off..

If you don't have factory traction control or foglights I guess that explains the blank button faces.. Got no idea where the wires on yours would be going..
Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

04 GT from left to right...

(Rear defroster) (Traction control on/off) (Fog lights)

In my case, the rear defroster is the blow a fuse button. [:@]

It's possible the wiring is there for them, but you don't have fog lamps anyway, and the traction control is more of an ECU-controlled thing, so making these buttons pressable isn't going to do very much for you. Since the wiring is there, you may want to check a wiring diagram, you will probably be able to use the existing wires, and modify the buttons to control things that you add later.