General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:19 AM
Hokey

Default Traction control question

First I have a 2017 manual v6 stock mustang. If I hit the traction control button the traction control goes off. If I hit it again it goes back on. Normal right? I found something online about holding the traction control button for 5+ seconds. When I do that I get a message that Advancetrac is turned off and then if I push it again I get a message that Advancetrac is off.

Is Traction Control and Advancetrac the same thing? It's definitely a different message.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:13 AM
Hokey

Troll much?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

He's just trying to figure out the finer points of how it all works, so go screw yourself, rookie.

Hokey, I would do some searching over in the S550 section and if nothing good comes up then re-post your question over there, where you are much more likely to come across somebody with an answer to this.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Hokey

Thanks, I will try that. Nothing like trying to get a simple answer to a simple question only to get called a dumbass and a rookie.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:24 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokey
Is Traction Control and Advancetrac the same thing? It's definitely a different message.
That is just what ford calls their ESC system. Every car company call is something different, but it's all ESC.

Traction and Stability are two different things though. Traction Control is for when you step
on the gas and when wheel spin is detected, the brake system clamps down the spinning wheel.

ESC, or AdvanceTrack, is when you slip going into or while in turns, it will clamp down wheels to
try and keep you going in the direction the steering wheel is. Your car will have a steering angle
sensor. If you only have traction control, you really don't need the steering angle sensor.

TCS and ESC is their basic designations. Then you have tucks and SUV wish Anti Roll (RSC)
added to the Stability program, so you don't flip the vehicle.

Also, why can't people either answer the question? Why does there have to be a jag-off in every
forum? Some 7 poster is going to get on a 6 poster? This happens in every forum I have been
in, and it's just disgusting, and off putting. Answer the question, point to the info, or just shut
up...
Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 AM
Hokey

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
That is just what ford calls their ESC system. Every car company call is something different, but it's all ESC.

Traction and Stability are two different things though. Traction Control is for when you step
on the gas and when wheel spin is detected, the brake system clamps down the spinning wheel.

ESC, or AdvanceTrack, is when you slip going into or while in turns, it will clamp down wheels to
try and keep you going in the direction the steering wheel is. Your car will have a steering angle
sensor. If you only have traction control, you really don't need the steering angle sensor.

TCS and ESC is their basic designations. Then you have tucks and SUV wish Anti Roll (RSC)
added to the Stability program, so you don't flip the vehicle.

Also, why can't people either answer the question? Why does there have to be a jag-off in every
forum? Some 7 poster is going to get on a 6 poster? This happens in every forum I have been
in, and it's just disgusting, and off putting. Answer the question, point to the info, or just shut
up...
Thanks for the explanation. This is what I was looking for.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:42 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by hungstanger
sounds like someone isnt a nice person and like to complain

Way to go you complete hypocrite! Your posts were nothing but complaints, and insults.

Thanks for providing a superb example of what a complete hypocrite is, the VERY definition.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:53 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

How about; You GROW up...
Old 03-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Traction control question

Hokey, Listen to 08'MustangDude, there is no such thing as a bad question. Here it is, "Traction Control" is intended for bad weather driving ie. rain snow etc.. What "Traction Control" does is reduce the amount of fuel going to your injectors, and takes control of your Positraction System so you don't overpower the car and start sliding around. Next, "Advanced Traction Control" engages when your car wants to lean, YAW, either left or right, and as with "Traction Control", fuel is reduced to the injectors so you do not overpower the car into a spin. If drag racing, you can disengage both, but at least disengage Traction Control. For road course racing, "Advanced Traction Control" should be turned off because it will sense "YAW" and reduce fuel to your injectors. Remember, when turning off "Advanced Traction Control" you also disengage "Traction Control." Even the engineers are confused at times with this system. But another option when drag racing, and your rear wants to cross the 60 footer before your front does, is disengage "Advanced Traction Control" and be done with it. Also, every time you turn your engine off, the "Traction Control" system re-indexes and the next time you fire up, you must manually disengage the "Traction Control" systems, if need be. Keep playing with this and after a while it will become instinctive as to which options are best for your driving situation.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:38 AM
Wife’s 18 GT CONV

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
Hokey, Listen to 08'MustangDude, there is no such thing as a bad question. Here it is, "Traction Control" is intended for bad weather driving ie. rain snow etc.. What "Traction Control" does is reduce the amount of fuel going to your injectors, and takes control of your Positraction System so you don't overpower the car and start sliding around. Next, "Advanced Traction Control" engages when your car wants to lean, YAW, either left or right, and as with "Traction Control", fuel is reduced to the injectors so you do not overpower the car into a spin. If drag racing, you can disengage both, but at least disengage Traction Control. For road course racing, "Advanced Traction Control" should be turned off because it will sense "YAW" and reduce fuel to your injectors. Remember, when turning off "Advanced Traction Control" you also disengage "Traction Control." Even the engineers are confused at times with this system. But another option when drag racing, and your rear wants to cross the 60 footer before your front does, is disengage "Advanced Traction Control" and be done with it. Also, every time you turn your engine off, the "Traction Control" system re-indexes and the next time you fire up, you must manually disengage the "Traction Control" systems, if need be. Keep playing with this and after a while it will become instinctive as to which options are best for your driving situation.
now that’s an explanation and I knew by the feel of my wife’s 18gt at full acceleration wasn’t the old ABS brake fire system that was so jerky, wife’s was simply no spinning and felt nothing

the Yahoos arguing above had no clue as to the real answer and I really learned something from you about advanced needing to be off fir road course yaw!!!

pay attention boys, here is a real and extremely polite EXPERT!!!!!!