General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I manually put my s550 in Limp Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 PM
flex4486

Default Can I manually put my s550 in Limp Mode?

Can I manually put my car in limp mode? Ill be away for a few months and I don't trust my teenage sons with it. My wife need to be able to move it so pulling the any fuses or relays is out of the question. I know there is also a transportation mode but that was something the dealer had to take off when the car was shipped new. Also, the "MyKey" is a worthless feature. Anyone with a brain can and a cell phone can figure out how to disable it.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:26 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

As far as transport mode, there are videos all over the net how to take it out of transport mode,
so anyone with a brain and internet can figure that out too.

How about, pay some money and put it in locked storage?
Get a lock box, put the keys in it, and only the wife can get them...

Unplugging harnesses, can be plugged back in; range sensor, speed sensor...
You could unplug the speed sensor, that would do it. They'd have to get under
it and plug it back in. Still, TRUST? That they basically won't steal your car?
That's pretty bad. Son or not, take my car, go to jail for theft, simple as that...

If you had a tuner, you could put the wrong differential gear ratio into it, and take
the tuner with you. The car would go into limp mode with the wrong gear ratio.

There is nothing else you could do, that can't be reversed.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

If you have a descent tuner you could get a tune with the Rev-Limiter set to say 3000 RPM's.......

I have this for my 2004 ProCharged Marauder......works GREAT and gets your attention at 3K RPM's!!
Old 03-23-2018, 02:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Rather than risk causing unforseen problems by disabling the car electronically, just do it the old fashioned way, use a Club, take one key and the wife keeps/hides the other one.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...wg8IswE&adurl=

If that's not good enough, you have bigger issues than trust with your boys.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:26 PM
cbdallas
1st Gear Member

Do what no parent does anymore. Threaten with an *** whoopin.

There's NOWHERE you can put the keys that only your wife knows about? Surely there's a simpler way to handle this rather than crippling your car.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:28 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by cbdallas
Do what no parent does anymore. Threaten with an *** whoopin.

There's NOWHERE you can put the keys that only your wife knows about? Surely there's a simpler way to handle this rather than crippling your car.
Yeah, but even if they do, parents today don't follow through with their "threats", and
that makes it even worse. They know you won't act, and will run all over you.

It's easily fixed with a steering wheel lock, like The Club. There's no excuse for not
doing that if you can't trust your kids not to STEAL your car when no one is home.

However, MOMMY is still in charge, right? MOMMY will be the only one with the keys, RIGHT?
So, even that, Mommy keeps the keys, period. Don't hang them up on the key rack, or lay them
on the table or counter top; POCKET them, every day, and where you go, they go... If your kids
are that bad, there's a problem.

Also, IF by chance they steal your car, Mommy calls the cops and has them arrested. Theft
is theft, doesn't matter who steals it. I have had to file a law suit against one of mine, and
he never, EVER screwed me over again. RESPECT, if you don't teach it, you won't earn it.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, or you didn't need lesson in raising your boys, but I have THREE!
While, they never took a car, or anything of great value; my game controllers walked out
of the house a few times, and my games. It was stopped, immediately, and was never done
again. Took all three of them down to the police station once, had the cop show them a jail cell,
and let them know THIS is where you go when you take what does not belong to you.

RESPECT... Now, they're out there on their own, and will bend over backwards for me.
When I call, they come a runnin'. I ask them to take their mother somewhere, even AFTER
they just HER no? They'll do it. If I see something cool, and say "I'd like to have one of
those." It appears on front of me a few weeks later, or Xmas if its expensive... They
turned out fine.