General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coil Pack/Spark Plug Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 12:57 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Nickel, Iridium and Platinum are a poor conductors to begin with, which is why coil packs need an increase
in spark energy. Nothing beats copper, which you can use, but would be replacing every 30,000 miles.
Gaped right, copper plugs will produce the best results in SuperCharged engines. Silver plugs won't last
long, and are harder to find.

ELECTRICAL CONDUCTIVITY MS/M

Electrical Conductivity comparison between precious metals used in Spark Plug technology. Electrical Conductivity
plays a vital role in spark plug performance. The more efficient the conductivity the less strain that is put on your
ignition system. This allows for a more potent / strong spark which is crucial for force induction, nitrous, high
compression and hard to ignite alternative fuels. Copper spark plugs are the least likely of all conductive metals
to overheat, which lowers the tip's temperature. An overheated metal core can damage the components inside
the plug, which can interrupt or delay the spark's delivery to the cylinder.

They use Iridium and Platinum because they are harder metals, and will last longer in the combustion chamber.
This makes for longer plug change intervals,bu they run hotter than copper plugs, and really aren't recommended
with supercharged engines; copper is.

I am running an Accel SuperCoil, and NGK G-Power plugs, it improved response, HP, and MPG. With the 93 Octane
K&N FIPK tune, I am getting 28 MPG highway. When I just put the SuperCoil in, it made a difference, then after the
plugs 10,000 miles later, was even better. IT is working for me right now, I will leave it alone. I still have the FORD CoilPack,
just in case... Also, I may go with copper plugs later, since I do not drive the car a lot to begin with.

Was also looking into the multi-spark capacitive setup... Supposed to turn one spark event per plug into multiple sparks.

I can't find it now, but there is a voltage stabilizer add on for coil power, so you don't loose voltage to the coil(s) with
accessories on, or when the electric fan kicks in, and so on. The module keeps the coil(s) at a steady voltage, which
can also be increased to ramp up spark energy for a hotter spark.