General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

No throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:13 AM
Tfrank386

Default No throttle?

Can anyone tell me why I have no throttle. I changed the trottlle positioning sensor and have no throttle. Put the old one back on and still no throttle. Have checked all fuses and relays..
Old 06-25-2019, 10:52 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tfrank386
Can anyone tell me why I have no throttle. I changed the trottlle positioning sensor and have no throttle. Put the old one back on and still no throttle. Have checked all fuses and relays..
What year and which engine? Does the engine start and idle normally, just no speed up when throttle is opened? Check for codes. If it is a "Drive by Wire" system, it may have been forced into one of the "no run" modes, such as "Forced Engine Idle", or "Forced Engine Shutdown".
Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 PM
Tfrank386

Originally Posted by imp
What year and which engine? Does the engine start and idle normally, just no speed up when throttle is opened? Check for codes. If it is a "Drive by Wire" system, it may have been forced into one of the "no run" modes, such as "Forced Engine Idle", or "Forced Engine Shutdown".
It's a 2005 Mustang base model 4.0 engine and yes it is a drive by wire system. It will crank out and run at idle speed but no throttle whatsoever. I've put a new throttle positioning sensor on and still no throttle. The codes showing are P02104 & P02111
Old 06-26-2019, 10:52 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

It's a 2005 Mustang base model 4.0 engine and yes it is a drive by wire system. It will crank out and run at idle speed but no throttle whatsoever. I've put a new throttle positioning sensor on and still no throttle. The codes showing are P02104 & P02111
Your codes are as I mentioned: P-2104 "Throttle Actuator Control System Forced Idle"; P-2111 "Throttle Actuator System Stuck Open"

The first is self-explanatory. The second means the drive motor is not responding to computer commands correctly. I believe if the cause were in the Throttle Pedal Sensor, a code would say that, in addition. If no other instrument cluster lights are staying on, namely the "wrench" and/or ABS, the trouble likely lies with the Throttle Actuator Drive Motor. If no other lights on, I would replace the Throttle Body Assembly; I don't believe the motor is serviced separately, but you could check. imps
Old 06-27-2019, 01:32 AM
Tfrank386

Default Throttle positioning sensor

Where the TPS attaches to the throttle body is there a spring the goes inside the throttle body where the TPS mounts to it? I'm thinking there should be a spring but I'm not seeingone. If there is supposed to be a spring can you tell me where I can get one and what size it might should be? Thanks
Old 06-27-2019, 03:04 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

On my 2010 it's throttle by wire. I put in a new TPS sensor and a new gas pedal. You may need to take your gas pedal off (unplug the plugs first) then undo the torx screws on the side, remove the cover and clean out the contact surfaces. Reassemble and see if that helps. Or get a new throttle body as it may be heat soak damaged. ROCKAUTO.com has them for a good price.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Where the TPS attaches to the throttle body is there a spring the goes inside the throttle body where the TPS mounts to it? I'm thinking there should be a spring but I'm not seeingone. If there is supposed to be a spring can you tell me where I can get one and what size it might should be? Thanks
Can't answer your question. There are two springs involved in the Throttle Body. One large clock-spring serves to return the throttle plate to closed position. The other presses a plunger against the throttle plate gear, forcing it open just a tad, against the main spring tension. The plunger has a built-in stop, so the throttle plate is always just barely cracked open whenever the Key is OFF. Key on immediately causes throttle plate to close shut tight, then releases back to the slightly cracked open position. This action takes only about one second, and repeats EVERY SINGLE TIME the key is turned from OFF to ON.

During that one second test, PCM compares Throttle Position Sensor output to determine no fault is present. If a fault is detected, the engine is put into Forced Idle only condition.

Something is screwed up, either the TPS is improperly attached, it's electrical connector not making contact, or the TPS itself is faulty. The other possibility is that the servo drive motor is faulty. You cannot rebuild/re-work the Throttle Body yourself. I have done it, and I can tell you it may drive you nuts trying.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 PM
Tfrank386

I'm leaning towards it being the TPS. The new one in ordered from Ebay does not have a spring inside it. I have several other TPS for earlier model Mustangs and out of curiosity I opened one and yes it has a spring. Attached is the before / after of the TPS.