General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

What Cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default What Cam ?

After receiving answers about my intake manifold questions, alot of people told me that i would be better off replacing the heads and the cam. I think i am going to replace the heads with GT-40 heads because the pricing is pretty low, if anyone knows if there are heads that are just as good or better and around teh same price ( 250.00 $ ) a piece, please inform me. Now, about the cam....Is it really worth replacing ? How much gain am i going to get out of a better cam ? I was reading my hayness repair manual, and it seems to be time consuming, although i do have about 4 months to do everything i need to and can afford to. But something to keep in mind. i've never done anything like this before. I plan to be super careful and take my time with everything and read the manual all the way through the steps of the head replacement. So overall, is replacing the cam really worht it ? worth the money and the time ? thanx alot
Old 12-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What Cam ?

Also, can i use my valves and valve springs and all the other valve components on GT-40 heads ? or will i need new ?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

i honestly dont think GT40 heads are worth it... my opinion is save for a better pair.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Are there any heads out there for under 400 $ a piece that are better than GT-40 ? I had my eyes on the GT-40 heads cuz they are cheap, and i'm sure they are better than my heads. But going all out and getting the good stuff would be the way to go here. Any cam suggestions ?

Old 12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I need to know what drive train you've got and what are you planning to use the car for......
GT heads are not all that bad. I would use new ones and of course the proper valve springs for the cam whatever that is.
Those heads are not that bad unless you got some super lift cam in mind. I would stay under .500 with them......
Old 12-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Well.....i was using the car for daily driving, which sucked with the 4.10 gears. But after this winter i'm not planning on driving it as much as i did, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I was planning on getting new heads, i found them for 246. a piece. which i thought was a pretty good price, but i've never actually compared prices. So i would have to get diff. valve springs ? to match the cam ? Would this mean i would have to get diff. valves ? i'm new with all this, sorry if the questions seem stupid. Is replacing the cam with a better one a good idea ? what kindof gains will i see ? thanx alot for the help
Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

$400 a piece, as in, $800 for GT40 heads?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

NO. I found GT-40 heads for 246 a piece. so about 500 for both. Also they are brand new, good deal or no ?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:13 PM
doc_phibz
1st Gear Member

either way from what i understand is don't go with a frpp cam, i have a f-303 with holley heads and 1.7 rollers, and it gets up and all, but i feel i could get a better idle( i know f-303's are known for rough idle) and rpm range with an aftermarket company. from what others have told me it's usually best to go with an after market cam, and u might want to keep the lift in moderation with the heads your bout to get....nice price on the heads though, good job finding them.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

So would i have to buy diff. vavle springs to match a cam ? Or could i find a cam that matches my stock valve spring lift ? But i guess that is a good price ?I'm not sure if those heads come with all the valves and such, i need to call the place and see.

Quick Reply: What Cam ?