General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How many miles, is too many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 06:48 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How many miles, is too many miles?

98' Cobra with 100k will need some sort of serious work done to it unless babbied its entire life. 96-98 Cobra engines are aluminum blocks with steel sleves, they tend to vibrate around and get loose and cause wear. For those engines I hear an average of 75k before having to do a bottom end rebuild.

I use to want to get a 97' Cobra for the longest time and I learned a little about the engines in that time, made me rethink the engine. Now the heads do flow better then an 03/04 Cobra so if you supercharge it you should have some good results. Personally I would throw the extra $2500 at it and have a machine shop put a stroker kit in. That way you know your good for a long time. Also invest in a good high flow oil pump and have them look at the sump system, the oil is the blood of the engine and you dont want that to stop pumping.

I think the Cobra would be a good investment for a very fast car, a forged stroker bottom end with about 8.5:1 CR or 9:1 CR if you use higher grade fuels then 93 with a Blower on top would be one beast of a car. If you dont want to run with a blower then knock the CR up to 10.5:1 and have a good ol time NA.

How much are they asking for the Cobra? What kind of wear does it have? Do you have pix you can show us?

-Neo-
Old 01-22-2006, 12:44 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

My car had over 115k on it when I bought it and its over 120k now.. put a TON of miles on it the first month. I just had it dynoed and it hit within 3hp of factory numbers. Just depends on how they were driven, and how modified they have been.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:31 AM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

98' Cobra with 100k will need some sort of serious work done to it unless babbied its entire life. 96-98 Cobra engines are aluminum blocks with steel sleves, they tend to vibrate around and get loose and cause wear. For those engines I hear an average of 75k before having to do a bottom end rebuild.

I use to want to get a 97' Cobra for the longest time and I learned a little about the engines in that time, made me rethink the engine. Now the heads do flow better then an 03/04 Cobra so if you supercharge it you should have some good results. Personally I would throw the extra $2500 at it and have a machine shop put a stroker kit in. That way you know your good for a long time. Also invest in a good high flow oil pump and have them look at the sump system, the oil is the blood of the engine and you dont want that to stop pumping.

I think the Cobra would be a good investment for a very fast car, a forged stroker bottom end with about 8.5:1 CR or 9:1 CR if you use higher grade fuels then 93 with a Blower on top would be one beast of a car. If you dont want to run with a blower then knock the CR up to 10.5:1 and have a good ol time NA.

How much are they asking for the Cobra? What kind of wear does it have? Do you have pix you can show us?

-Neo-
Thanks for your imput. That Cobra was sold a few days ago. And then I found a 96 Cobra with little miles, and that was sold too! I think I might have to settle with a GT haha.
I'll look around and host some pics and get some of y'all imput.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:58 AM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

my car's front tires were more worn than the back, but how bad can peeling off be?