General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

noises under light throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:28 PM
namezod
1st Gear Member

Default noises under light throttle

Hey all,

I have a 1995 Mustang 3.8 Convertible, and I have a few noises under light throttle. When I press the gas pedal just a tiny bit I hear this "click click click". It is really low and I can't hear it anymore once I press the gas pedal enough because the engine noise covers it up.
Also when I press it just a little bit more, I hear this high pitched whistle. The whistle is only at a certain throttle position.

Both of these noises are when the gas pedal is lightly pressed. I just started noticing it because I have stopped flooring it everywhere I go due to gas prices . Now that I think about it, these noises have been present ever since I have owned the car, so it isn't engine damage from flooring it or anything. I know they aren't big problems but anyone know what the causes of them are? I like to keep my stang running flawlessly.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:36 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: noises under light throttle

The whistling is caused by air passing through your intake in most cases unless you have a vaccum like that is loose, but for the most part it sounds like its your intake doing its natural thing.

Now as for the ticking, my engine did the same thing before I blew the V6 up, its really not something to worry about, those engines just made a alot of noise in the valve train and because they were a 90 degree V6 block they had problems being ballanced.

Another cause of ticking where not normal is lack of oil/lubrication or octane can cause detonation if the grade is poor. Are you using recycled gas from a junk yard or anything like that? If not then standard 87 is just find for the engine without any kind of pinging.

Most people who have Pre-99 V6 mustangs that pay attention to their cars will tell you about clicking they hear. I am surprised that you heard the whistle though, usually it is too quiet to hear unless you have a CAI bolted on or an aftermarket TB or TB spacer.

Good luck with your car and make sure to change the oil often and keep those head gaskets in check, a high quality head gasket would be worth while.

-Neo-
Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
namezod
1st Gear Member

Thanks bud, reassuring news. Heh, I just use 87 gas from speedway, nothing from a junkyard..
I may change out my head gasket soon because I heard there was a recall on it for 3.8s around my year.

Thanks for the info
Old 01-31-2006, 02:14 PM
sanitarium16
2nd Gear Member

i hear the same ticking noise from my GT! Its comming from the top of the center console. I know its not the engine. i dont know what the hell it is! it started doing it since the winter came!