General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help identifying this MAF

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:39 PM
aeronautica86

Default Help identifying this MAF

Alright, this isn't a Mustang question at all, but it does involve high performance Ford (i think Ford...) parts and I figured this would be the best forum on the board to post this question.

Basically the story is this, I'm a big Porsche 944 turbo fan (8v, 2.5L 4 cyl turbo sold in the states from '86 - '89 for those that didn't know) but their power from the factory is...lacking. There are numerous tuners that provide aftermarket go fast accessories for these cars (turbos, exhausts, piggyback fuel controllers etc etc etc) however the prices for these parts from vendors are ridiculous so I'm taking the DIY approach. Anyway, the car was originally equipped with an air flow meter - not too good for tuning, power, or throttle response so I want to switch over to a MAF - problem is a MAF from one of these tuners can be as much as $1200! So what I'm trying to figure out is what MAF sensor is being used - I've got some pics and I know they aren't very good, but I think it might be a Ford sensor or a sensor used for Fords, it has 6 wires on the connector if that helps at all. I've also blurred out the name of the tuner which was placed on top of the sensor:

Any ideas as to which sensor this is? I'm also considering using a Granatelli sensor and adapting it for use in the 944 turbo...
Old 02-18-2006, 07:43 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help identifying this MAF

i actually just got a granitelli mass air like a week ago, that dosent look anything like mine.. your going to need to know how big your fuel injectors are and if you have a cold air intake your going to want to make shure it has the cold air tune... the mass air needs to be calibrated for your car!
Old 02-19-2006, 02:55 AM
aeronautica86

Default RE: Help identifying this MAF

I know how big the injectors will be, and haven't decided if I'll fab up a true cold air intake or just run a filter from the engine bay, or maybe run it in the engine bay with a heat shield around it...whatever happens I will have it figured out before any MAF is ordered.

I have heard that the MAF needs to be "calibrated to the car", but only from the tuners in the Porsche world and they never elaborate on what this means, and thus the Porsche owning community is not very MAF educated (in other words the guys on the porsche forums don't know what this calibration entails either). How is the MAF calibrated? What is done differently with the MAF for it to be calibrated properly? Obviously the software for the car's ECU has to be modified to understand a MAF signal, but I've got that covered. So what exactly needs to be done to the MAF in order for it to work right? What variables do I need to know about the engine/components in order to get the MAF calibrated? Any information on MAF calibration would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys