General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pics of my Turbo Coupe.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:15 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Default Pics of my Turbo Coupe.

Finally got another camera, its another cheap camera, but i traded a Tripminder for it, so it was practically free. It was 27* outside, i went to a coin op carwash, which was partially frozen, and still washed it and took pics.

My buddies firebird in there. 80's performance at its finest:
Old 02-19-2006, 11:42 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pics of my Turbo Coupe.

we want TURBO pics
Old 02-20-2006, 12:39 AM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Coming right up:

This was before i removed the A/C, tied up the lines, and cleaned it up, that was maybe 2 days after we swapped the turbo, and it was a swap because i killed my old turbo and needed to get somewhere, so we wernt ready for it.

And an engine bay shot.

I need to replace my upper intercooler hose, so when i do that, ill snap a few fresh turbo shots when since its all mostly clean now
Old 02-20-2006, 12:41 AM
1FUN5.0
2nd Gear Member

My dad had one, I believe his was an '88. I drove it once and ragged the hell out of it!!!! my one and only fun trip. soon after that the car died. He never knew just how fast the car really went, but i did[8D]
Old 02-20-2006, 01:13 AM
alexr
★★★★★

so when are you gonna do the volvo DOHC swap?
Old 02-20-2006, 04:44 AM
Magiarn71
3rd Gear Member

Not to be a dick, but I don't really care for the blacked out factory rims. With mine I was thinking of still using factory and using a black on the inside of the holes only or something. New rims are nice, but the factory ones aren't too bad.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ARdoller

so when are you gonna do the volvo DOHC swap?
When you pay for it.

Original: Magiarn71

Not to be a dick, but I don't really care for the blacked out factory rims. With mine I was thinking of still using factory and using a black on the inside of the holes only or something. New rims are nice, but the factory ones aren't too bad.
I get a lot of mixed reviews. I was actually going to do the black on the inside. I painted them, then went to sand the faces back down to aluminum, the paint wouldnt come off, so i said fugg it, repainted them, put em on, and liked it a lot.

You probably wont like my next setup either. Youll see that in a few weeks.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I miss my '85 T-Bird Turbo from time to time. I had it set up so it handled so flat through a corner I could actually make it push. The front/rear weight balance of these cars is unreal. I installed Ford Racing handling springs and put in all new struts and shocks. Can't even remember which brand I went with anymore. I know I had Koni quad shocks for sure. Dumped those dog a$$ gatorbacks for Michelin VRX's or some such thing and the handling, wet weather driving, etc. was intensely better. At the time, gatorbacks (225/60-15) were going for $225 each. A Vette tire then went for over $350 each! Alot to pay for a tire that would hydroplane at 50 mph or less in a rain storm. Michelin's wouldn't even hydroplane at 80 mph.

Next I installed a pre-oiler so the turbo would get a bath of oil even after the engine had stopped. I always used only Mobil 1 and never regreted one minute of it. I took the head off and it looked as though every part was brand new. I also installed a variable boost control and ran around 20 psi.......NASTY! One trick I did was change the cam to a Crane with a very high rate in the exhaust mode (about twice that of stock) which is basically what fuels the turbo itself. Well, it worked like a charm and that car was like a rocket under full boost. The '85 was a bit stubbier, smaller car and probably weighed less than the later '87 and '88's. That was the year ('85) Bill Eliot turned in a qualifying lap speed with his T-Bird at Talladaga of around 223 mph......SMOKIN'! I did have fun with that car.

Forgot to mention I also installed an intercooler kit from Ford and wheel spacers to extend the width of my tire stance on the road. If you would like to have a good source of speed parts for these era cars, try Racer Walsh at the following website: http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/
Old 02-21-2006, 09:47 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

The great thing aboiut the 87-88's is that they handle better than the previous from the factory. They came with the 16" wheels, Tokico electronically adjustable shocks and struts, and revised rate springs. Its amazing how well these cars handle for their size.

The motorsport springs for these cars were decent for their time, but with spring technology these days, along with the aftermarket, some amazing things can be done to these cars. CHE Performance makes rear control arms specific to the Tbird/Cougar since they arnt interchangable with a mustang, all of the front suspension can interchange with mustang suspension (fox or SN95), can easily be converted to 5-lug, these cars are amazingly versitile, and you dont have to blend in with the mustang crowd.

Youre lucky the car was rather fresh at the time you had it. The original fuel pumps dont like that much boost, or power for too long. Mine got so bad to where it wouldnt support 2psi of boost, and left me stranded, when the car was relaitely stock.

Im going to be focusing on the brakes, and putting a nice Falken Ziex 512 tire all the way around, in 245/50/16, along with freshening up some bushings, and after that, scheduling the installation of some subframe connectors. Im hoping that makes the car handle so much better.

Racerwalsh, while they have some good parts, their service has gone downhill, and prices have gone up. When you get to know people, stuff starts coming cheaper

Great to hear from another guy who loves thunderbirds in one way or another.