General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

just a question about the V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:45 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: just a question about the V8

+1 - Going back to my original post on this topic. The V6 Mustang is the bread and butter for Mustangs, until this year they were 3 of 4 Mustangs sold... They're not built for speed when Ford makes the GT, Cobra, Mach 1, and soon to come out BOSS model. You can buy a Mustang for whatever you want to use it for. You can buy one to go low 12's right out of the box, or you can get one that's going to get you 20+MPG in gas, and have 1/2 the insurance premium. Not only that, but the V8 Mustangs respond VERY well to modifications, and there is a HUGE aftermarket dept, even if its not through Ford Racing. Think about this... all of us modding our stangs going through other companies is basically helping Ford by helping the economy also... By putting 10k into your stang pumps that much more in to the American Economy, and not only that when im driving in my other car, and I see a Mustang that is very fast and looks very nice, im goin to want one that much more and do the same things to mine in my own way... Today at work I actually convinced someone to get a Mustang by mistake.. I drove to lunch and the guy loved it - which helps Ford because someone new will be buying a Ford. So, in the end it all does come out in Ford favor (the huge aftermarket) even if they're not buying from Fordracing direct.

Still look at the way the power is rated on those cars too.. about 1200 rpm differance in HP, which means im getting there faster which means you're playing catch up.. so if I have 60 lbs more torque that im getting all sooner then that same 350z, and then my HP that much faster, that 350z is playing catch up the entire race... I know the 350 is RWD, anyone know the rear drive gear in that car?? it's a 3.358 according to Nissan.com. I can tell you before my 3.90's were put in, I put 1-2 cars on a 350 from a dig and about the same even from a roll, I ran that same car after my gearing was installed and it wasn't even close... he gave up before I left 3rd gear. I have nothing against the 350z, and yes it's a V6 competing agst V8's but cars aren't ranked by engine, but by purchase price.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:55 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Something no one else has brought up... How about gas mileage? A V-8 has two more cylinders than a six cylinder. How many people would still buy the mustang if it had a big gas guzzler tax on it? Or if it got 13 mpg? (yes, i know some of us do, but not according to EPA lol)

As for their six cylinder model... why would they make a 300 hp six cylinder... and a 300 hp eight cylinder model? Just doesn't make good marketing sense. And if they made the GT 400 hp, who would buy the Cobra? If they made the cobra 550 horsepower... how long would it last?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: waxyourboard

Something no one else has brought up... How about gas mileage? A V-8 has two more cylinders than a six cylinder. How many people would still buy the mustang if it had a big gas guzzler tax on it? Or if it got 13 mpg? (yes, i know some of us do, but not according to EPA lol)

As for their six cylinder model... why would they make a 300 hp six cylinder... and a 300 hp eight cylinder model? Just doesn't make good marketing sense. And if they made the GT 400 hp, who would buy the Cobra? If they made the cobra 550 horsepower... how long would it last?
i work with a two women that have v6 cars one has a 99 and a 03 the other a 04. my gt gets better fuel milage than any of theres.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:56 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

The gas guzler tax is a good point. Ford is able to stay under that tax, but we can make a car that will guzle gas...if we want to. That's a big deal here, why would you pay an extra tax if you don't have to.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Tim - you shouldn't have actually... but it does depend on driving patterns... I know my V6 got a lot better gas then my GT does...