Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change

That 1st filter from the factory is a PITA to get off tho. Everyone I seen reply before has also crushed it taking it off.

As for the filter draining onto the line I just put a 6x10 or so of cardboard under it funneling it away from the line, no more issues.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:42 PM
ultraclyde

wrap the line in a piece of aluminum foil, about 6" by whatever the roll is. keeps the oil out and it's qucik, easy and cheap. Just like I like my women.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

My first change was easy, except the filter was cranked on by the hulk, I got it off without crushing it but I did use a few swear words. Next change was easy, theres no need to tighten the filter with a wrench.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:15 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ren274u

easiest car i have changed the oil on.
THESE PEOPLE NUTS!!! This is the easily the HARDEST oil change I've ever done...ok maybe not the "hardest" because oil changes are pretty brainless, but certainly the biggest pain in the ***!

the oil on this car flippin sucks!

The oil pan is right in the center: can't reach it from either side. And the car's too low to squeeze under so I had to jack it up a few inches just to reach the drain plug.

Ok now that's done and the oil is draining time to grab the filter. The filter is in a pretty good spot right behind the front cover but it's at a friggin 45degree angle!! What knuckle-head engineer did that?-one who doesn't change his own friggin' oil-that's who! You're GUARANTEED to get oil all over the filter and your hands when you unscrew it and of course the put an a/c or steering line or something (can't recall off hand what it was) right underneath the filter, so of course that gets oil on it too. Let not forget you need to move the oil pan or get another pan to catch all the oil dripping from that huge *** mustang filter.

Ok now put the plug back in add your filter and start filling the oil....now let the jack down and you're finally done....WHAT A PAIN!

you want easy! check this...my old truck...'94 S-10 pickup. no jacking necessary, oilpan less than an armslength from right side. Filiter's on a 90deg. angle in the side of the block but there's an oil channel right below it that drained the filter oil right next to the pan so you didn't have to move the oil pan...no mess...no hassle...literally a 4 minute oil change....

the first mustang oil change took me like 30 minutes...and a lot of cursing. I tried every angle to get to the drain plug w/o having to jack it up....what a pain in my butt that was!!

Ok so I made it seem a little messier than it really was. My garage really wasn't covered in oil when I was done. My Dakota had the oil filter on the front of the engine directly above the axle also on a 45deg. angle...no jacking necessary but also a messy filter.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:27 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

sorry i have to agree with the rest, easiest car I have ever changed oil on and I used to work at a dealership quik lube.
ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr

ORIGINAL: ren274u

easiest car i have changed the oil on.
THESE PEOPLE NUTS!!! This is the easily the HARDEST oil change I've ever done...ok maybe not the "hardest" because oil changes are pretty brainless, but certainly the biggest pain in the ***!

the oil on this car flippin sucks!

The oil pan is right in the center: can't reach it from either side. And the car's too low to squeeze under so I had to jack it up a few inches just to reach the drain plug.

Ok now that's done and the oil is draining time to grab the filter. The filter is in a pretty good spot right behind the front cover but it's at a friggin 45degree angle!! What knuckle-head engineer did that?-one who doesn't change his own friggin' oil-that's who! You're GUARANTEED to get oil all over the filter and your hands when you unscrew it and of course the put an a/c or steering line or something (can't recall off hand what it was) right underneath the filter, so of course that gets oil on it too. Let not forget you need to move the oil pan or get another pan to catch all the oil dripping from that huge *** mustang filter.

Ok now put the plug back in add your filter and start filling the oil....now let the jack down and you're finally done....WHAT A PAIN!

you want easy! check this...my old truck...'94 S-10 pickup. no jacking necessary, oilpan less than an armslength from right side. Filiter's on a 90deg. angle in the side of the block but there's an oil channel right below it that drained the filter oil right next to the pan so you didn't have to move the oil pan...no mess...no hassle...literally a 4 minute oil change....

the first mustang oil change took me like 30 minutes...and a lot of cursing. I tried every angle to get to the drain plug w/o having to jack it up....what a pain in my butt that was!!

Ok so I made it seem a little messier than it really was. My garage really wasn't covered in oil when I was done. My Dakota had the oil filter on the front of the engine directly above the axle also on a 45deg. angle...no jacking necessary but also a messy filter.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:03 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Ya'll are all just nuts...

On a garage floor with hand tools....this oil change was a PITA!

Obviously if you've got a lift then they're all pretty much easy as it's in the air anyway! That's not what people in here are talkin' 'bout...

ya dig?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

hehe i was, lift = 10x easier

Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 PM
ultraclyde

Hmmm let's see...
82 toyota - don't know, never changed it.
69' ford f100 big block - oil drained dirctly on to center of cross member, filter was up front.
88 honda coupe - you can ALMOST reach the filter once you get it up on stands. It's over the exhaust pipe. smells great.
88 Nissan stanza - I grew a third elbow for this one. Still have the exhaust burns.
70 impala - simple, if you can ever make the drain plug seal back up
71 opel - once you FIND the drain plug, it's okay. Filter like a shot glass
97 302 explorer - plug is huge, hard to get loose. Filter is above the swaybar or something, and you have to balance it to get it out
96 toyota corolla - you don't even WANT to know.
05 mustang? REAL simple.

And the biggest lift I own is a floor jack.

and putting the car up on jacks at least every 5000 miles is just a good idea regardless. Everything under there deserves a periodic inspection for wear, damage, etc. If you don't want to actually wrench on it, just take it somewhere. no sweat.

wow. kinda scares me how many on thst list are still around the shop.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

I wish I had a lift at home, all I have is a floor jack and thats what I use. 3 pumps and it's up. You should invest in one. I think the filter location is what really makes it easy though, easy to get to. Now my wifes Civic is a PITA. That filter is much more difficult to access. Stoenr you really got it easy; access to a lift and everything.
ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr

Ya'll are all just nuts...

On a garage floor with hand tools....this oil change was a PITA!

Obviously if you've got a lift then they're all pretty much easy as it's in the air anyway! That's not what people in here are talkin' 'bout...

ya dig?
Old 03-04-2006, 07:30 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Oil on the hose below the filter

ORIGINAL: B767capt

With a nail, I punch a hole in the lower end of the filter and let it drain. After loosening the filter with the filter wrench, I then slide a Wal-Mart bag over the whole filter and spin it off. I don't spill a drop.
I like this idea Can't believe I never thought of it before.