Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

It's time to start learning .... TEACH ME ... :'(

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: It's time to start learning .... TEACH ME ... :'(

If shifting the gears with the car off is bad on the transmission, then we might as well go ahead and start planning on a new and better transmission now. Seriously, the car wont last forever with really hard abuse, but it is made to take a good bit of punishment. Practicing shifting shouldnt hurt things.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:25 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Time and practice is definately the place to start. There is no way to damage the trans with the engine off while practicing. Just don't slam a gear so hard that you bend a shift fork. A new shifter, my personal favorite is the Pro5.0, will give you an easier shift to 3rd and they also have positive stops that you adjust so that no matter how hard you bang a gear, you can't bend the shift forks. That is not to be considered "cheating". That is just like any other bolt on upgrade. Best of luck and congats on the stick!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:06 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sicko6

Hey Saud...........so, you had an automatic and got a manual? How did you go about doing that? Did you lose money?

well u can say that i lost few bucks but it was a great deal man... my auto tranny car had no FULL insurance and didnt have the FREE service .... i sold it and got a brand new 5spd mustang 2006 0 miles and with free full insurance and with free full service up to 60,000 km that means untill my mustang reaches 60,000 km i wont pay any cent to the dealer
Old 04-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Rouier
1st Gear Member

you sound like your repeating what the dealer told you to make the sale LOL
Old 04-02-2006, 12:57 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rouier

you sound like your repeating what the dealer told you to make the sale LOL

what do you mean ? [&:]
Old 04-03-2006, 08:50 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Saud - One thing that might help you with your 2nd to 3rd shift is to pop your seat back up a tad higher (or straighter) than you are used to. Ya it doesn't look AS COOL but it puts you in a better driving position with more control over everything. I learned this tip from a friend of mine who races SCCA and it made a world of difference for me with the way this shifter is positioned so far forward in the car.

Try it...unless you have a problem with taking advice from a girl.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:49 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Okay, so I went through those videos (sweet resource), and now I have some questions about shifting:

1. I noticed that every single shift the guy did, the clutch went all the way to the floor. Is this how its supposed to be done? My dad was telling me the opposite; that've got to find that point just before the friction point, and you don't need to push the pedal down any more than a bit beyond that point.

2. I've been at this manual for over a month now, and for the life of me, 1st to 2nd is impossible to conquer the majority of the time. More often than not, I get the jolt back and forth once (and I can hear the tranny clunk), probably not enough to hurt anything, but its annoying and everyone can tell I'm a manual n3wb [:@]. Also, this guy in the vids is dead against any slip (I have to agree) but it seems the only way I can smooth this out is to slip a bit, so...I'm stuck...I definitely don't want to be burning my clutch OR screwing up my tranny [&:]

3. For starting out, I have gotten into the habit of pumping the gas just a bit (I think from my dad's underpowered F150, where you'd have to basically get out and push for the thing to start rolling). The guy in the vid was all about constant rev...any preference/advantage, etc?

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread a bit, but maybe others are having the same problems...

Oh, and I'm not some high school kid with rich folks. Just a 24 year old with a new, hard earned toy with just a handful of stick experience, and a dad who's full of ideas, but maybe not all the right ones ;-) just trying to sort out fact from fiction!

-HypromanGT
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 AM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Hyproman----here are my answers to your question, and I am only going to assume that all people have their own way of doing things, this is what has worked best for me:

1- I was always told that you must out the clutch to the floor everytime, no matter what. Not putting it in all the way is what burns it up easier. And if it means that you have to sit closer to the steering wheel so be it. Sometimes it really isn't comfortable (and being only 5'2" it gets difficult sometimes), but the control over the clutch is worth it in the end.

2-When you are street driving, it is ok to slip the clutch a bit to make is a smoother ride. Until you get the clutch down so you can do it without even paying attention to it too much, its perfectly alright. And you won't screw up the tranny.

3-That is up to you. I had a previous b/f that would always blip the gas just before giving it constant gas through the release of the clutch. I personally don't give it gas at all until I feel the clutch start to pull.

And remember, clutches can be replaced if you burn it out!!

Again, this is how I drive my car, and it totally works for me...if you don't want to take advice from a girl its cool....just letting you know how things go on here.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:20 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hottymustang

Hyproman----here are my answers to your question, and I am only going to assume that all people have their own way of doing things, this is what has worked best for me:

1- I was always told that you must out the clutch to the floor everytime, no matter what. Not putting it in all the way is what burns it up easier. And if it means that you have to sit closer to the steering wheel so be it. Sometimes it really isn't comfortable (and being only 5'2" it gets difficult sometimes), but the control over the clutch is worth it in the end.

2-When you are street driving, it is ok to slip the clutch a bit to make is a smoother ride. Until you get the clutch down so you can do it without even paying attention to it too much, its perfectly alright. And you won't screw up the tranny.

3-That is up to you. I had a previous b/f that would always blip the gas just before giving it constant gas through the release of the clutch. I personally don't give it gas at all until I feel the clutch start to pull.

And remember, clutches can be replaced if you burn it out!!

Again, this is how I drive my car, and it totally works for me...if you don't want to take advice from a girl its cool....just letting you know how things go on here.
Hey it's the 90's....err......whatever!

Seriously, if a girl drives better than me, then a girl drives better than me (and I am sure you do)! I have absolutely no problem in admitting that ;-) Thanks very much for the answers/tips, I'll have to give them a try tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:13 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Hey i could be of some help. Ive showed alot of my friends how to drive stick.

to start off w/. When shifting gears, take your time. from 1st to 2nd, is stright down. and here a little trick for 2 to 3rd, as your shifting from 2 put the car in N for a sec and go stright up; thats 3rd gear. 3rd to 4th is stright down. and for 5th, go to N again, over to your right and up. so remeber you go from 2nd to N to 3rd. and i dont mean let it stay in N, just put it there for a sec, then all you have to do is go stright up for 3rd

another thing for smooth shifts, is to shift at a very low rpm (2 to 2 1/2 rpm) and take your time doing it. What happens is if you take a car up to high of a rpm slow and then shift slow, the high rpm gears the car down so when you do it slow it gives you that newbie shift. Lower the rpm for a shift, less the car will gear its self down(the engine slows the car down w/ out brakes)

try to act like auto's act. If your giving it a little bit of gas, the autos dont go to 4,000rpm, they go to 2,000rpm and shift.

another trick is to learn how to get out of 1st gear right. I good thing to learn is to get out of 1st gear w/ out any gas. go to a parking lot and slowy let go of the clutch and hold it at the top for a sec intill the car starts to roll, wants it starts to move; let go of the clutch. and when you get good at it, you just add a little bit of gas to the end and ur good to go.