Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axle back gains?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 06:52 PM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

Default Axle back gains?

Is it possible to gain some power from swapping the stock mufflers with some good flowing axle back setups?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:21 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Axle back gains?

Probably not. Kenne Bell says the stock exhaust on the GT can handle 600HP!

I did a search on the word exhaust and found this.

https://mustangforums.com/searchpro....mitbutton=+OK+

From what I've read it would take long tube headers, no cats, etc. to realize maybe 30hp.

Most people are replacing exhaust for the sound, not the gain in performance.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 04-15-2006, 07:45 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeVistaBlue06

Probably not. Kenne Bell says the stock exhaust on the GT can handle 600HP!

I did a search on the word exhaust and found this.

https://mustangforums.com/searchpro....mitbutton=+OK+

From what I've read it would take long tube headers, no cats, etc. to realize maybe 30hp.

Most people are replacing exhaust for the sound, not the gain in performance.

Hope this helps.

Mike
+1 You won't see any performance gains from an axleback switch alone, only a exhaust sound change. You have to start at the engine and work your way back for there to be better outflow.....not vice versa.

And realize too, that even though the flow can always be better....the stock exhaust is actually perfectly fine for most performance applications that you want to do on your car.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

You won't gain any hp, but your car will sound like it gained hp!
Old 04-16-2006, 01:21 AM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

Does that mean that it really doesn't matter what axle back we put on our Mustangs being that it wont give you any noticable Hp gains, but what kind-of sound we are after?
I've heard from other people that they would only go with strait thru type mufflers because it gives them more Hp.
Personaly, if it really doesn't matter, then I would like to go with the JBA chambered mufflers cause they sound great. Has anybody delt with the JBA's here?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:31 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

I've always heard that you have to start around the cats area to notice any gains, BUT, I thought the quieter the muffler, the more restrictive.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:27 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

No, thats very untrue, you can make a 1000 hp engine as quiet as a stock honda, or of course a honda as loud as a freight train :P A lot of it has to do with set up and muffler design.

The thing is, when most people think of performance exhaust, they automatically think loud, which simply isnt true... but the muffler makers would make you think it is, because then its a battle of noise instead of gains. I have seen a lot of examples of this at the track for sportsman class etc.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:58 PM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shard Phoenix

No, thats very untrue, you can make a 1000 hp engine as quiet as a stock honda, or of course a honda as loud as a freight train :P A lot of it has to do with set up and muffler design.

The thing is, when most people think of performance exhaust, they automatically think loud, which simply isnt true... but the muffler makers would make you think it is, because then its a battle of noise instead of gains. I have seen a lot of examples of this at the track for sportsman class etc.
Hmmm. Well, the reason I asked this is because my friend put some SLP axle backs on his stang and it does seem to accelerate better. I'm very skeptical when it comes to mods, but I believe it accelerates a lil better. Maybe the stock ford mufflers don't flow as good as the SLP's
Old 04-16-2006, 04:16 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

I put the SLP's Loudmouths on my GT. It seems like it accelerates better now, but i think it is only because I'm getting on the throttle more. I love the sound now!!! I turn even more heads when I drive by.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:05 PM
derck_mullin

MM&FF did a test a while ago and they did show some gains with the axle back systems, but it was 7hp at best if memory serves. However, many other shops have done testing and basically found no gain whatsoever.

It is all about the sound. To me the factory system is great and it DOESN'T DRONE. That is one thing I absolutely can't stand about most aftermarket exhaust. Ford actaully did this one right and gave us big tubes and free flowing mufflers. Not at all like the old 5.0 days. So, buy the exhaust for the sound or just save your $$$ for something that'll make the car run better like gears and a tune.