Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I broke my 06 mustang GT's cam cover bolt :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:17 AM
jassem

Default I broke my 06 mustang GT's cam cover bolt :(

hello all. i was so excited when i received my K&N air charger system. i installed it myself. there is a bracket that came with the system, this bracket is to hold the air intake inplace. and it bolts to 2 of the cam covers's bolts. unfortunatly, not have a torque rench, i snapped one of the bolts while tightening it, surely i over done it.. now the bolt sits inside the hall where it should be, but without its head so the only why to take it out is basically to drill it out with a screw extractor. How easy is it to do so without having to remove the cam cover? Any other solution to extract it? And if I had to have the cam cover removed by the dealer, would it sit back normally? Wouldn’t it leake or something? This problem is really annoying me plz help. I have driving with the bolt in and there are no leaks whatsoever, even gone to top speed without a problem. Im thinking If the dealer has to remove the cover, I’d replace it with chrome.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:52 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I broke my 06 mustang GT's cam cover bolt :(

I would be mad if I had done it too, but I guess I would just leave it alone. Not leaking, there isn't any need to remove the cover. I have owned lots of cars for long times and have never taken off a cam cover.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I would fix it, but you don't need to take it to the dealer to remove the cam cover. I think you would need to remove the cam cover, but make sure you clean any debris off the top of the head before bolting the cam cover back on.

Edit: When the cam cover is reinstalled so long as it's done properly it won't leak.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I thought these bolts bottom out when tight. At least thats what I was told from people that powder coated their covers.
I think you went a little to far.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

I thought these bolts bottom out when tight.
If they do, that would explain why it snapped so easily, too much force on the shank of the bolt, and not the head.

The only 2 ways I know how to remove a broken bolt. 1) Easy-out (bolt extractor), or 2) Weld the tip of a rod to the bold and use the rod to turn it out (not recommended though unless you've run out of options)

Lesson learned... ALWAYS USE A TORQUE WRENCH... you can borrow them from damn near any parts store.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

get a dremel with a long, fine tip and drill a 1/4 hole in the middle of the remaining bolt. now get a tap and die and thread the bolt (make sure the thread is opposite the bolt's thread, so when you tighten down into it, it locks and unscrews the bolt). grab a thin grade 8 bolt from the hardware store and screw it in clockwise. when it reaches the end of the tapped thread it will lock in, and begin to unscrew the burried bolt.

this is either a 20minute or an all-day process depending on the situation. good luck