Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Single taillight stays on

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 01:24 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Single taillight stays on

Unfortunately for me this Spring I live in the Northeast, where we just got a million inches of rain. Sunday night after finishing a 150+ mile drive in the rain, I park and lock my car. I see the tail lights flash as normal and go out. A few hours later, I look out the window and see one of my tail lights on...I go outside to have a look. My far right tail light bulb is on ("brakes-applied" full brightness), no other lights on. I disarm and re-arm the alarm; all the lights flash as normal, they go out, and probably 2 seconds later, the single light comes back on. I tried turning the car on, lights on/off, etc, nothing worked. I ended up having to get into the trunk and disconnect the wiring for fear it would run my batt down. The next day I plug it back in, and the light's off...but when I get to work, it was stuck back on, so I again disconnected.

Last night I decided to leave it connected, thinking maybe it had gotten wet or something, and that it had dried out. I didn't notice that it was on this morning, but someone stopped me in the parking lot this afternoon to tell me it was on earlier this morning :-\. Apparently the darn thing has wised up to me checking on it periodically [:@]

Basically, it appears to be some phantom short, etc, that I can't correlate to anything. I read on another couple threads that people have been having worse problems with electical, and that their "smart module" needed replacing. I also might add that I have had one instance since I've owned the car where the cruise control would not stay on (for no apparent reason), and also when I first noticed the light issue, my rear defroster turned on automatically when I started the car, and I could not shut it off for a good 5 minutes (the indicator light would bounce off when I pressed the button, but come right back on when I released). Also, my car MAY have released the trunk latch by itself, although I cannot confirm this one...

Many apologies for the post length. I am going to be taking it into the dealership, but I was really just looking for some real-world explanation, and maybe someone to tell me that this is a fluke occurance and that I am not going to be having electrical problems for the life of this car...just passed the 5k mark

Oh, and my car was not in any flood zone, etc. Just a lot rain coming down, no standing water of any kind.

TIA
Old 05-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Single taillight stays on

that is just too weird!

Take it back to your dealership.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
miketx
1st Gear Member

I agree, just take it to the dealer. You've got nothing to lose by asking them to fix the problem.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:06 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

I had the same issue with the tailight only. I pulled up at a restaurant, got out and the passenger side tail light woudn't shut off. I got in the car hit the brakes, turn signals and hazards and it never went off. I finally gave up and went in to eat and by the time I came out it had turned off. Weird. It only happened once about a month ago and hasn't happened since.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

It only happened once about a month ago and hasn't happened since.
Yeah that's basically the problem. It hasn't happened since I posted :-\ Taking it in now I believe is going to be a waste of my time, but I've got an oil change coming up, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the input, all.