Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust first or intake + tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:41 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust first or intake + tune?

my GT is bone stock right now. just got it on tuesday i am thinking about going to buy exhaust or intake this weekend. what kind of exhaust packages should i think about. cat back, axle back, x pipe?? i heard the SCT Xcal2 is the best way to go for the chip, but does it void your warranty? JLT CAI best way to go?

Let me know what you guys think
Old 05-26-2006, 03:08 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust first or intake + tune?

I did the exhaust first i wanted loud so i went with the SLP Loudmouths as far as a tuner goes i am in the deciding stage cause i too am stuck on the warranty issue. If i do tune it and reset it back to factory when i take it in for warranty work will ford be able to see it??
Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the new stang! I would do the CAI and tune first. You'll be able to feel it. Then do your exhaust. But it's your stang so you do what you want! The tunes will not void your warranty. At least according to SCT or Diablo. I would go with SCT since they use USB. JLT or C&L is what you want for the CAI. As far as exhaust. The stock pipes are good. You can had some axle backs for a better sound but you won't get much out of a full system. If you want to enhance the axle back's sound then go with a high flow x or h pipe. Enjoy!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:44 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

are the axle backs just bolt on or do they need to be welded on?also if i just got the axle back would it be a hastle to add the high flow x or h pipe after? does the SLP loudmouth have a chambered muffler?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

The entire exhaust as far as I've seen is bolt in. Nothing I can think of needs to be welded. You wont gain any power from an axle-back. As far as tunes go they will void your warranty, even if you go back to a stock setting. They can read the last flash date. All you can do is hope they don't check it. The most popular tunes here are from Evolution and Brenspeed. I've also heard a bit about bamachips lately. All three sell C&L and JLT CAIs which are the top systems on the S197 GT
Old 05-26-2006, 11:26 PM
jetstang
1st Gear Member

RWHP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tricky!! I work in the automotive industrie "lots of BS out there" simple HP upgrade would be the K&N series 63 intake, and the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. These 2 items together will get you up to 290 RWHP. If you want more, you will have to flash or chip!!!!!!!! Hope this help, Michael
Old 05-27-2006, 02:39 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jetstang

RWHP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tricky!! I work in the automotive industrie "lots of BS out there" simple HP upgrade would be the K&N series 63 intake, and the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. These 2 items together will get you up to 290 RWHP. If you want more, you will have to flash or chip!!!!!!!! Hope this help, Michael
I think you may have meant 29 RWHP
Old 05-27-2006, 02:44 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: shockme76

ORIGINAL: jetstang

I think you may have meant 29 RWHP
even that would be a stretch. I was thinking more like 2.9

The stock airbox is crappy and the K&N would help somewhat but all the real power gains seem to be in the tune.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:25 PM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

I did C&L with a Brenspeed tune first and it is great. I am now looking at axle backs (Borla and Corsa) for a more aggressive sound. As far as the warranty goes I have only brought it in once for service and I pulled the CAI off and flashed back to stock. I don't know for sure but my guess is that the dealer can see the last date and time of the flash but the dealer I go to sells performance mods and I talked to them and they seem pretty cool about mods. I think the mod/ warranty issues come from non performance type dealers.
Greg
Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gkosin

I did C&L with a Brenspeed tune first and it is great. I am now looking at axle backs (Borla and Corsa) for a more aggressive sound. As far as the warranty goes I have only brought it in once for service and I pulled the CAI off and flashed back to stock. I don't know for sure but my guess is that the dealer can see the last date and time of the flash but the dealer I go to sells performance mods and I talked to them and they seem pretty cool about mods. I think the mod/ warranty issues come from non performance type dealers.
Greg
I bought mine from an SVT dealership so i'm hoping that they'll be cool about my mods.