Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

General Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:23 PM
dp28688

Default General Tuner Question

Im looking to get a Steeda Cold-Air from local guy who is further upgrading his stang. What I want to know is about getting a tuner Looking at the Diablosport. But Need to know should I get it from Steeda so has the program(tune) or can I get the program(tune) for the CAI from elsewhere?, The price ranges i have seen vary about $100 or so.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:52 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: General Tuner Question

ORIGINAL: dp28688

Im looking to get a Steeda Cold-Air from local guy who is further upgrading his stang. What I want to know is about getting a tuner Looking at the Diablosport. But Need to know should I get it from Steeda so has the program(tune) or can I get the program(tune) for the CAI from elsewhere?, The price ranges i have seen vary about $100 or so.

The two most popular tuners are the Diablosport and the SCT-2. They both do the same thing (upload a program into your car's ECU), so performance-wise there is no difference between the two. The SCT seems to be a little more popular, and it uses USB to download tunes off of your computer. The Diablosport uses a serial port. These things may or may not matter to you. Truthfully, the best choice would probably be whichever one that your favorite tuning shop uses.

You will need to get a program for the Steeda CAI for your tuner. Of course, getting it from steeda is one option. Another option is to go with any of the major tuning shops such as Brenspeed, Evolution, Bamachips, and so on. These guys should be able to help you out as well. If you buy the tuner from them, they will give you the tune you need for free.

I suppose that you could shop around and buy a tuner somewhere else (or get a used one), but in that case you'd probably have to pay a tuning shop for the tunes. Note that when you buy a tuner you're buying more than just the piece of hardware. You're buying the support and expertise of an actual person that writes the tunes for your car's mods. Therefore, I suggest you buy your tuner from a well regarded tuning shop--that way you're getting expert support with it. You'll need that for future mods.