Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

H-pipe or High Flow Catted...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 06:36 PM
8CYLPOWER
1st Gear Member

Default H-pipe or High Flow Catted...

Im going to be ordering some JBA LT i am lookin also to get either an h-pipe or the high flow catted... or should i jus go with the borla cat back exhaust right into the LTs?? thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2006, 06:54 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: H-pipe or High Flow Catted...

ORIGINAL: 8CYLPOWER

Im going to be ordering some JBA LT i am lookin also to get either an h-pipe or the high flow catted... or should i jus go with the borla cat back exhaust right into the LTs?? thanks in advance

The Midpipe (either X or H style) and the "catback" are two different things. You can do one, the other, or both.

The Midpipe will get you some HP. The Catback won't have an appreciable effect on HP, but it will change the sound of your car.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:34 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

My service guy at the dealership said the pipes we have are high flow now, Ford does not advertise this but its a fact. Brent from Brenspeed said the exact same thing in an unrelated topic one day while we were talking tech. Did you also nknow you already have an H pipe stock?
Old 07-15-2006, 02:20 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

My service guy at the dealership said the pipes we have are high flow now, Ford does not advertise this but its a fact. Brent from Brenspeed said the exact same thing in an unrelated topic one day while we were talking tech. Did you also nknow you already have an H pipe stock?

Well, "high flow" is a relative term. The Stock S197 exhaust is very good as far as OEM goes--it's better than most "factory" exhaust. It's certainly better than any stock Mustang has even been. The factory manifolds are the best manifolds that I've ever seen. And, the factory system includes an H-pipe and nice 2.5" tubes all the way back.

BUT that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

High-flow cats or an off-road pipe (either H or X) will reduce or eliminate the restriction of the stock cats. An X-pipe will give a (slight) increase in performance over an H-pipe.

Longtube headers will scavenge much better than the OEM manifolds.

This all depends on what you want to do. If you just want your car to sound mean, just get some mufflers (axle-back) and be done with it.

If you are looking for more power, then get longtube headers & either an offroad (no cats) midpipe or high-flow catted midpipe.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:36 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

If you want noise, go for a off road set up. If your not a fan of noise, stick with a high flow cat design.