Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Suspension upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:22 PM
tedjac06GT

Default Suspension upgrades???

Hi,

I have a 2006GT Auto and want some opinions on upgrading the suspension. I guess that would incluse springs, heftier sway bars and a pan hard bar. Could anyone with suspension expertise describe what each part will accomplish and would struts/shocks also be a high-priority upgrade. How much should all of this stuff cost to install and adjust. I have no mechanical skilss and np where to get the car off the ground... so it will have to done by professionals. Any help/advice/experience is very much appreciated.

Ted
Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension upgrades???

Check out this thread from last week. There is a lot of discussion about suspension mods in it:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/tm.htm

I am not really sure about the cost-to-install, as I did all of my own install work. Most of the rear parts are pretty easy to put in. I know a lot of guys in the forum have done their own LCAs in about an hour with just hand tools and a jack. I think a few guys did their own shocks/springs on all four corners of the car in about 3-4 hours. With labor at anywhere from $50-75 per hour, you do the math... Also, if you mess with the front end, then you need to get the car aligned, so don't forget to consider that.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:06 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

tedjac06GT, what are your primary objectives with the suspension upgrades. Some do it just for looks (lowering), some do it for street ride/performance and others to it for track performance - where do you land?

The link CrazyAl posted is really good (and includes very good description from him, as always).
Old 07-31-2006, 12:52 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Question:

If i'm getting an adjustable panhard bar (which I want to re-align my suspension since i'm lowered), do I need to get the adjustable LCA's too or will the non-adjustable be fine? Should I get the adjustable ones either way?

-Jeff
Old 07-31-2006, 01:22 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I would get the adjustables so that you can reset your pinion angle now that the car is lowered.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:36 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Alright will do, i'm debating whether to get those Longtubes done with or put about $600 worth of suspension mods in. Leaning toward the Headers but want to be able to put all the power to the pavement so i'll have to do some thinking.

Thanks for the info Al, how's the install on the Adj. Panhard Bar with Poly Bearings and then the LCA's with the 'Instant Center'? How do you go about putting the car back into alignment with them, i'm not very experienced with suspension mods.

Thanks!
-Jeff
Old 07-31-2006, 10:05 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Both the panhard bar and the LCAs are pretty easy to install. I'm guessing that both can be installed in an hour without much trouble, then factor in a bit of extra time for adjustment.

Setting the "alignment" is simple too. For the side-to-side position of the axle (panhard adjustment) you need a plumb bob and a ruler. Hang the plumb bob from the "12 o'clock" position on the wheelwell and then measure from the string to the wheel, on each side of the car. Adjust so that both measurements are the same.

The pinion angle adjustment (adjustment of LCAs) requires an angle gage. I bought one from Sears for $10, but you can also rig up one from a protractor, some string, and a small weight. This is pretty simple too.

"Instant Center" is not really set with the LCAs (though I suppose they do have a small effect on it)-- LCAs are mainly for setting pinion angle. If you do want to change instant center, the primary means of doing that is with LCA relocation brackets.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 AM
astroGT
1st Gear Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but let's say that my objectives with the suspension upgrades are lowering the car and street performance. Which upgrades should I get?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: astroGT

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but let's say that my objectives with the suspension upgrades are lowering the car and street performance. Which upgrades should I get?

I'd say that you need to figure out how much you want to spend first. That is going to be a key factor. But, here are my thoughts, these are basically in order of "highest to lowest" priority.

1) You said you want to lower the car. That means you need (as a bare minimum) lowering springs and some means of adjusting the camber in the front end. Eccentric bolts are usually used for this. Even if you are doing the labor yourself, you still need to have a front-end alignment done, so consider that part of the "bare minimum" package.

2) The next mods that I would suggest are aftermarket LCAs and an Adjustable Panhard Bar, these address the main weaknesses of the OEM suspension. I would buy the adjustable LCAs so that you can reset your pinion angle now that you have lowered the car. The adj. panhard bar also lets you re-center your rear end now that you've lowered the car. That's not required per se, but it is nice.

3) Next up: shocks. The Toicko D-spec are very popular and are fully adjustable for your needs.

4) Next step: rear sway bar. You can do the front too, but the rear is the weak link.

5) Further mods, which are good but not as critical as the above: front K-member brace (Steeda "G-trac" or BMR "A-arm support"), panhard bar brace, LCA relocation brackets.

6) there are, of course, more mods possible, but I don't think that they fall into the category of "street performance" unless you are very serious.

If you are going to have a shop do the install, then I would try to do it all at once in one big package. The reason is that it will save you a lot of labor. For example, if you are having your shocks done, then they already have to remove and replace your springs. Having your springs done at the same time is basically free, whereas you pay for all that labor twice if you have it done later. Ditto for the rear parts...if the techs already have the rear suspension apart, they might as well swap out everything you want done at once while they're back there.