Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

turbos, turbos and more turbos

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: turbos, turbos and more turbos

ORIGINAL: cekim
_most_ states that do emissions testing on cars after 1996 do it by plugging in to the OBDII connector and looking for errors. So, that part is ok, but then they are supposed to check that you have all the emissions equiptment that came from the factory (i.e. if the sticker says "2 cats, egr, O2 sensors", then they need to find that equiptment or you fail the "visual inspection" part...)
Not in Texas. They place your car on rollers, plug a sniffer into the tailpipe and test the actual tailpipe emissions while running the car at various RPMs. There's no fooling a system like that.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:29 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT
By the way, those numbers came from a Mustang dyno. Imagine what they would be on a Dynojet!
On a Mustang Dyno....[sm=drooldude.gif]....WOW
Old 08-12-2006, 12:30 AM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

Well, I had a long conversation about with them about that and without going into all of the technical data they shared with me, the charge is cooler, there is no parasitic drag, the boost builds differently and it is less likely to gernade the motor at 500 plus H/P than a centrifical unit.
Not to nit-pick Music, I know you are extremely knowledgeable, but "Less likely to gernade your engine?" Does that mean you still SHOULD do forged internals? Or it's relatively safe for a stock engine.

BTW, thanks for the turbo info!

Old 08-12-2006, 02:25 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

they quoted me 4995 for the turbo, but you also needed a diablo MAFia (they're a Diablo shop, not SCT2) and the tuner itself.

edit: labor was also higher for the turbo than any SC I've been quoted on (as you can imagine) so if you're not a DIYer or not confident in your skill level to get it done, bear that in mind. Was 11-15 for install for Delk.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:38 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright
ORIGINAL: cekim
_most_ states that do emissions testing on cars after 1996 do it by plugging in to the OBDII connector and looking for errors. So, that part is ok, but then they are supposed to check that you have all the emissions equiptment that came from the factory (i.e. if the sticker says "2 cats, egr, O2 sensors", then they need to find that equiptment or you fail the "visual inspection" part...)
Not in Texas. They place your car on rollers, plug a sniffer into the tailpipe and test the actual tailpipe emissions while running the car at various RPMs. There's no fooling a system like that.
The nice thing about FI is that correctly tuned with cats, it should run very clean... Combustion efficiency and all of that... Within limits of course, if you are putting out 2X the exaust gas period, at least in MA you will likely run afoul of the "total particulate counts"...

They use a sniffer up here, but only for pre-1996 - that is the whole reason for all the "encryption" and heavy-duty obfuscation of the link between your car/VIN and your PCM - they are using it to tattle on you

That is easily defeated, like every other attempt to "secure" information, but I had not yet heard of too many places not trusting OBDII + visual...