Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

which longtubes ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 12:40 AM
*bmxking*
1st Gear Member

Default RE: which longtubes ?

im not trying to say that i gained tons of hp, but i also like the sound that came with it also. like you guys r saying i may have only gained 10 hp at most but im still happy with what i got... plus i also plan on getting some head work and adding a s/c so i know they will help out when that happens....
Old 08-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Skrappy
1st Gear Member

im not trying to say that i gained tons of hp, but i also like the sound that came with it also. like you guys r saying i may have only gained 10 hp at most but im still happy with what i got... plus i also plan on getting some head work and adding a s/c so i know they will help out when that happens....
I agree 100%, with what you have planned it makes sense. If you only look at the HP gains, then it might make more sense to go another route first. But just like you said. It is worth the sound, I happen to agree with you that the sound of a great engine exhaust is a sweet thing and if it is what you wanted, then you did the right thing. I am just trying to answer the original question about what are the best bang for the buck mods to start out with.

Thanks,

Skrappy
Old 08-27-2006, 06:46 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

Dude, You're asking questions and we're offering advice, but I don't think you're hearing what we're saying. If you buy Borla headers forget about cats because they DON"T HAVE A CATTED SYSTEM! Their product has only been available for a few months so I've not seen a single dyno graph anywhere to support any HP gains one way or another. They make nice mufflers (of which I have a set) but who knows about their header systems? I was on board to get them and was gung ho to have a 100% Borla exhaust system. I got tired of waiting month after month for a product nobody had. I'm not sure if Borla was caught with their pants down and couldn't keep up with the demand or perhaps they found a serious design flaw and stopped the presses. Do you think they're going to tell you their headers were falling apart so they decided to rethink the design? I bailed and decided to give a new kid on the block my business (American Racing Headers). My mistake was to get an off road system (catless) and I told you IT'S WAY TO LOUD! I'm actually driving down from NH to NY to their facility on Tuesday to have cats installed so you know I'm not kidding. So again, unless you want something that's going to ruin your hearing and asphyxiate you with exhaust fumes, then I don't recommend an off road system for the street.
On the subject of gears, I put 4.10's in my GT and would never consider 3.73 for a standard shift. If you have an aotumatic then that's another story. If anything I've considered trying 4.30's. but with gas prices being what they are I don't think I really want to do that. Forget about what your friends are saying and start listening to people that actually have and know about the mods you're considering.
sure thang boss, But one last question about the 4.10's does it make you feel sick of shifting ?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:45 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I've read others say that about having to shift more but it's ridiculous. I see no difference in shifting except doing it a little earlier. When approaching intersections where a full stop is not a necessity, I find it actually to be an advantage having 4.10's in because I can just slowly roll up in second and by slipping the clutch a little, avoid shifting down to first. I can even start out in second if I want to without stalling.
ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

Dude, You're asking questions and we're offering advice, but I don't think you're hearing what we're saying. If you buy Borla headers forget about cats because they DON"T HAVE A CATTED SYSTEM! Their product has only been available for a few months so I've not seen a single dyno graph anywhere to support any HP gains one way or another. They make nice mufflers (of which I have a set) but who knows about their header systems? I was on board to get them and was gung ho to have a 100% Borla exhaust system. I got tired of waiting month after month for a product nobody had. I'm not sure if Borla was caught with their pants down and couldn't keep up with the demand or perhaps they found a serious design flaw and stopped the presses. Do you think they're going to tell you their headers were falling apart so they decided to rethink the design? I bailed and decided to give a new kid on the block my business (American Racing Headers). My mistake was to get an off road system (catless) and I told you IT'S WAY TO LOUD! I'm actually driving down from NH to NY to their facility on Tuesday to have cats installed so you know I'm not kidding. So again, unless you want something that's going to ruin your hearing and asphyxiate you with exhaust fumes, then I don't recommend an off road system for the street.
On the subject of gears, I put 4.10's in my GT and would never consider 3.73 for a standard shift. If you have an aotumatic then that's another story. If anything I've considered trying 4.30's. but with gas prices being what they are I don't think I really want to do that. Forget about what your friends are saying and start listening to people that actually have and know about the mods you're considering.
sure thang boss, But one last question about the 4.10's does it make you feel sick of shifting ?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:53 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I've read others say that about having to shift more but it's ridiculous. I see no difference in shifting except doing it a little earlier. When approaching intersections where a full stop is not a necessity, I find it actually to be an advantage having 4.10's in because I can just slowly roll up in second and by slipping the clutch a little, avoid shifting down to first. I can even start out in second if I want to without stalling.
ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

Agreed. Saud, Just do it. How many of these "friends" giving you advice over there are driving new Mustang s197's?
Old 08-27-2006, 03:37 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

[/quote]
Agreed. Saud, Just do it. How many of these "friends" giving you advice over there are driving new Mustang s197's?
[/quote]

well they were all 5 and all own old models one who owns a 5.0 foxbody and 3 who ownd sn-95's and a guy who owns a 2004 cobra..

but non who owns a s-197.