Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noises...am I too paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:10 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Noises...am I too paranoid?

There are two noises as of late that I have been really tuning into when driving around. I tend to be the paranoid type, so I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing these types of things, and if anyone thinks they know what's going on. Keep in mind this car is completely stock (except for my new side mirror covers i got for B-day!):

1. Transmission whine - I am noticing a bit of a whine at fairly low speeds (1st ,2nd, 3rd gears) about probably 2000 RPMs. Doesn't matter whether I am speeding up or slowing down, but I think it's more prominent when slowing down whilst in gear. It's not an overpowering sound, in fact my dad noticed it and thought it sounded cool, but...what worries me is that I don't think it was there when it was new...

2. Tapping/knocking noise from small about of gas 1/2 or more throttle - this one is hard to explain. I've heard spark knocking on other vehicles, and at first I thought my car was doing it, but now I am not convinced. If I am cruising at a certain speed, just enough throttle to keep me going, say 2300-2500 RPMs, then decide to step on the gas (1/2 or more), I hear this tick-tick for a split-second, like something just engaged in the engine somewhere. I NEVER hear it for more than just a split second, and it's always immediately when I step on the gas. I have to admit, I have no experience with these engines, and know just enough basic mechanic stuff to get me in trouble, but it really does sound like a valve opening up.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 PM
redfiregt2006
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Noises...am I too paranoid?

i am having the same noise too...and i would like to know if somebody knows anything. this will help bump this up a bit.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

The whining noise from the tranny is normal all the GT's do it. If your like me and downshift to slow down you will hear it more often. And as for the other noise i think you are being to paranoid. Although if it is a loud ticking noise you might want to check your oil.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:08 PM
wjbiv

Paranoid, or just careful -- these are two good questions.

The transmission noise is 99.9% likely completely normal (at least I hope so 'cuase mine does the same thing).

Your other noise sounds like very mild pinging (half throttle is not a 'small' amount of gas ). This condition has been reported often on several Mustang forums, search for 'pinging' here and on others. The reason it only happens for a split second is that the car has 'knock sensors' that automatically retard timing a little when it occurs. The owner's manual even mentions that occasional light 'pinging' is 'normal'...

...That is, if you believe Ford. I (and others like me) have come to believe that the 87 octane rating for these engines might be a bit of marketing spin. Many drivers have reported mild to moderate pinging at the bottom of 2nd and 3rd (in manuals) when getting on it a bit. It usually occurs only when your NOT driving like your grandma, or when you jump on it when the engines is at crusing revs 2000-ish. (if you got a manual, don't jump on at at lower revs without a downshift).

I had my car in to Ford for this issue and they reported that they 'couldn't reproduce the problem'. After reading up on this and other forums, I decided to run 91 octane in my tank, and since then the problem has been solved.

Plenty of people will tell you they've had no problems like this and running anything other than 87 is a waste of money, but the extra cash is worth it to me to have the car sound as good as it looks!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:10 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

The whine is normal and very prominent when dowshifting into first gear at speed, atleast on mine.

The other noises could be pinging, I've never really heard pinging. It could also be the injectors, they do make some noise, but it's not noticeable on mine unless my heads under the hood. It could also be your AC compressor turning on and off.

And yes you sound very paranoid.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Well I was hearing the same taping noise you guys are talking about so I took to the Ford and to my mechanic and both told me that it was normal. That all mustangs make that noise and they told me that it is the driveshaft that make that sound when you step in the gas. Sorry for my bad english guys and hope I'm talking about the same noise you are talking about.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:44 PM
cwalsh7

My 06 GT is making a similar ticking noise. When I took it to the dealer he told me it was the a/c system engaging and dis engaging. He also told me this was normal sisne the engine on this car runs so hot, Ford built it in so the a/c actually aids in cooling the engine. These days it seems the catch all for "I dont know" is "Oh that's normal," then they stick you with a huge bill when your warranty expires. This may not be the same noise as in your car, but I hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:12 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks to everyone for all the input! I know it isn't the A/C because I have picked up on that noise already . That is actually kind of annoying, but "normal", as the dealer loves to say. I'll give mid-grade gas a try and see if I notice a difference. I guess the consensus is that the tranny whine is normal, but I'll have to keep an ear out to make sure it doesn't get any worse [&:]. I don't downshift into 1st hardly ever, unless I am stopped or nearly stopped, but I do use the engine to brake regularly.

Thanks again for all the suggestions/explanations.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:00 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Take you hearing aids out, it works for me.