Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

This is what a KB sounds like

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: This is what a KB sounds like

Wow! You put a nice window in that one!

While I am aware of the risks, the car is a daily driver, not raced or run as hard as a lot of the cars here.

Might I as what you were doing when it went boom?

As far as the tune goes, without rehashing it all over again, I feel will be good up to 12psi, when many more components will have to be changed.

A forged bottom end IS definitely in my future, maybe sooner, maybe later. I have a spare aluminum teksid block, which some say is stronger, and may build that for a stroked/bored replacement. The replacement Ford block is about $1200. Price a competitors aluminum block lately?

Old 10-07-2006, 10:26 PM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

LOL...Yeah it was a nice window alright ha.

Actually...I was just coming home...and was about 1/2 mile from my house....got on it just a tad to ....and boom.... ut oh []
Old 10-07-2006, 11:24 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Hey 03Cobra05GT, I'm checking into SCs myself I read those same exact numbers somewhere, but can't remember. But the safe limit numbers for the pistons were 425 RWHP which works out to about 500 HP at the crank. Maybe that's why the GT500's internals are built since it's right at that limit. I've been eyeballing the Whipple HO kit, but I'm a little leary since it's 475 RWHP. We'll see.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:33 PM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

Thats cool 06hoss. Can I ask why the Whipple? Also, what are your goals....what are you looking to get out of the car? What will be it's main use?

The reason I ask is because so far...I haven't heard good things about the whipples. [&:]
Old 10-08-2006, 12:00 AM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

It's going to strictly be a street car to be used as a daily driver, but I want to be able to shoot down Camaros and Ricers with ease and maybe hang with a GT500 or a Z06 vette, but that's pushing it on the pistons. I want a twin screw for the low rpm grunt. I looked at centrifugals, but most of their HP is up high in the RPM range. Roots are too ineffecient and produce too much heat. A Mangnuson is a roots hybrid and has extra bearings to worry about since it has that jack rod running front to back...plus it's basically a roots and heats the air too much.
The only bad thing about a Whipple is that you couldn't get them for a while in 04 and 05 due to business problems so not many people have them. Kenne Bell sprang from Whipple and Whipple actually made parts for KB when KB started out. The KB design is basically a Whipple since their engineering came from Whipple. Whipple is now back in the game for real and have redesigned their unit with better lubrication and rotor design...their unit is a 2.3L while the KB is a 2.6L. I still like KB and may go that way...I like how their intake is under the bumper on the passenger side...the Whipple is on the driver side at the stock airbox location. I've got a way to go on other mods first. I've got to change the gears out (going to go 3.73 instead of 4.10s since a blower will be the last mod) and I'm going to put in an aluminum driveshaft (probably powerhouse) with BMR adjustable LCAs. I'm looking at JBA long tube headers and will probably use an offroad H pipe since we no longer have emissions testing here...the air actually got better, can you believe that?
I'll also tighten up the frame with BMR parts...subframe connectors, etc. I'm probably going to get a new adjustable panhard rod with the offset bracket since I'll be putting on a stronger diff cover and you can't do that without the offset bracket (since the panhard rod will hit the longer differential cover. BMR sells a Moser diff cover as a set with their adjustable panhard rod and bracket...looks like good stuff. I STILL have a Hurst shifter on order...been backordered since July. I ordered the one with gear stops, not the basic unit that everyone else is using...I want to be able to bang that thing without worry. After all that, who knows, probably better brakes since I'll need em...All this to do and Xmas is right around the corner...and I promised my son a new PS3 which is $600...they come out 11/17.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/2EE0315270334289970BD5FA63CECC74.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/584907FE62AC40FC988636AF03CD90FF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-08-2006, 12:21 AM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you know exactly what you want lol. Thats good. You are right about the twin screw and the power down low. They definitly diliver down low.
If you aren't dead set against centrifugals, you might want to look into them some more. If tuned right/spun right they can start making lots of power as low as 2k rpm vs the usual 3-3.5k rpms. Also, for a daily driver, you are bound to kill your gas with a roots or twin screw...seeming as how no matter how light you are on the throttle, since you are always boosting.
I mentioned in another of my posts, that I intitaly was going to take out my 4.10s because of having a blower, however, there is a very good chance I am going to keep them as they offset the fact that my blower doesn't really start producing significant power until about 2100 rpms. But having the 4.10's gets you there so quick, its still an instant head back in the seat feeling.

The shop that I am dealing with, is most likly also going to become a Procharger dealer. If you take a look at the Prochargers, they've been getting some good reviews. They totally redesigned their kit, and unlike the Paxton or the Vortech kit that I have, Procharger has positioned the blower the normal CW way, so that the pulley on the blower as its own separate belt. The advantages to that is #1, less belt slipage #2. Nothing else is running of the accessory belt, so there is less where. The great thing is that if by chance the belt broke on the Procharger, you could still drive home without a problem, it would just be like not having the supercharger attached, where as in the case with my kit...the Vortech, it runs off the accessory belt so if it snaps, I have a problem lol.

But don't get me wrong, I love my Vortech lol.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

And when something like that happens there's no "maybe a wire's loose" or "broke another rocker", you KNOW what happened!

I lost a rod in Kansas once. Problem was I lived in Maryland.

Well, there isn't a good time for that, but look how strong your new motor is!

Thanks for the pictures! It's easy to forget just how much can be damaged! Even the heads, wow!

ORIGINAL: 03Cobra05GT

LOL...Yeah it was a nice window alright ha.

Actually...I was just coming home...and was about 1/2 mile from my house....got on it just a tad to ....and boom.... ut oh []
Old 10-08-2006, 12:28 AM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I hear you on the Procharger...I already looked at them...they're the only centrifugals that I would consider...plus they're cheaper than twin screws. I just really like the low rpm grunt of the screws, plus they say that they only take about 1HP to run due to the bypass valve, but I know I'll be using more gas when I get on it. You gotta pay if you wanna play!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

The one gripe I had with my new Mustang was the lack of torque. I was used to bigger motors and it constantly bugged me. With the KB I can be loafing along under 1500rpm, hit the throttle, and it goes right into boost and goes. It's great for everyday driving. Now I feel comfortable with it.

But to each their own. From what I hear, the low-end torque apparently scares some people and they prefer that it come on gradually. That's the nice thing about the variety we have, you can have exactly what you want. There are so many choices for the Mustangs!

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

Yeah I hear you on the Procharger...I already looked at them...they're the only centrifugals that I would consider...plus they're cheaper than twin screws. I just really like the low rpm grunt of the screws, plus they say that they only take about 1HP to run due to the bypass valve, but I know I'll be using more gas when I get on it. You gotta pay if you wanna play!