Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dang, I'm wore out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Default Dang, I'm wore out!

Today I installed a Hurst short throw shifter, a CHE K member brace and CHE torque limiter bars on my car and boy am I bushed!!! Other than my hands being beat up a little, the install went pretty simple and took a few hours. A couple of tips for any of you guys installing a new shifter (in my case a Hurst).

1. Don't use a rachet type box wrench to remove the forward mounting bolt of the factory shifter. I did that and when the bolt backed out, it trapped the wrench between the bolt and the floor board. I used pliers on the bolt flange to get the bolt back in to free the wrench and then used an open end wrench from there on.
2. On the rear shifter bracket there was a clip that held it to the floor board so I couldn't remove it without getting rough on it, so I left it hang there and installed the urethane bushing on the shifter and just slid it into the bracket. The Hurst directions say to remove that bracket and install it on the shifter at a workbench. Leaving the bracket hang there actually made the install a little easier since it held up the back end of the shifter while I maneuvered the front end.
3. Don't install the front mounting bolt first unless you have to. The Hurst directions say to install the front mounting bolt first then install the rear nuts, but I put on the rear nuts first (just took them down about an eighth of an inch) just to hold the shifter level and then I had to push the shifter pretty hard to the rear to get the front mounting bolt to slide in.
If I would have put the front bolt on first (and could have gotten that rear bracket off) I would have had a hard time getting that rear bracket to slide over the two bolts and might have stripped the threads a little as the bracket scraped over them.

I took the car out for a short drive and man is that shifter cool...extremely short throw and has a nice notchy shift feel.
The CHE rear adjustable LCAs are still in the box, but that's going to have to wait for another day!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/6E680164F8F9495696F7EA5A78B8FA37.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/61DA6FD71FD145E29EAAAC6469052094.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-10-2006, 06:19 PM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dang, I'm wore out!

have you speed shifted it yet? I've got my CHE still in a box - dying to put it on.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:05 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, it's an absolute rock. No way I could miss 3rd. I don't notice any vibration at all from the torque limiters either.
You've got the torque limiters, right?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

I was the install on the K member brace and torque limiter?

I was thinking of the BMR a - arm support, but what I like with the CHE is the torque limiters. So I may go with them for this, and BMR for the rest of the setup I want to do.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I was looking at BMR too, but they have no provision to hook up torque limiters to it. The CHE K member brace is the way to go since you can hook up the torque limiters and shift like a mad man. Plus I'm going to put long tube headers on later and you don't want the motor moving around once you install those. Most people usually change out the stock motor mounts, but this was a lot easier and absolutely no vibration.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Shaguarama
2nd Gear Member

I have the same exact setup as you, Hurst shifter, CHE K-member brace and torque limiters. I have never missed third since installing the Hurst, but with the CHE components shifting is even smoother.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Cool, I probably won't do the headers. Illegal in CA.

I have the same shifter, and what you described how you installed it, I basically did it the same way. With the back 2 nuts, I had to use a long extension to keep it held though in place while putting the first nut on, because I couldn't get both my hands up there to be able to hold in place.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:42 PM
TElke1
2nd Gear Member

im not a mechanic and im really interested in getting a Hurst shifter...How hard is this to do? My dad has worked on cars all his life and might have him help.....do you need a lift for this? Thanks for all you guys help and I need to get off this site!! I spend too much time (money) on here