Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Aluminum driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:41 AM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Aluminum driveshaft question

Yeah +1 on that CrazyAL...it wasn't very clear...he didn't state if he was running adjustable uppers or all stock control arms. I supposed you could run a one piece driveshaft with out adjusting the pinion angle to bring it within range, but you do so at your own peril. As you said, you can make that adjustment using either set of control arms, it's just easier to access the lowers plus the stock lowers have been known to flex while the uppers probably don't (as much) since they are shorter.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:54 AM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone dynoed before and after a driveshaft swap? If so, what was the diff?

Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 PM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

Great info Crazy Al just one question though, are relocation brackets needed with adj. lca's as well or are they only needed for a fixed lca.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:46 PM
fin1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
I am confused by this post. Are you saying you don't need ANY adjustable control arms (upper OR lower)? Or are you saying that you can use solid lowers but need an adjustable upper?
I was only talking about an aftermarket DS in relation to the LCAs, not the entire suspension. Yes, the pinion angle can be alter with an adjustable UCA to correct any pinion change that the DS may cause. My point (though poorly stated) is if the angle is off only an adjustable UCA is needed to correct it. Adjustable LCAs are not needed to correct the pinion angle. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modular81

Great info Crazy Al just one question though, are relocation brackets needed with adj. lca's as well or are they only needed for a fixed lca.
Relocation brackets are for adjusting instant center. That is a totally seperate variable from pinion angle. In other words, the two have nothing to do with each other. If you change your driveshaft, you do NOT need the relocation brackets.

You might want to read this thread, which discusses these parts in some more detail: https://mustangforums.com/m_2230421/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: fin1

I was only talking about an aftermarket DS in relation to the LCAs, not the entire suspension. Yes, the pinion angle can be alter with an adjustable UCA to correct any pinion change that the DS may cause. My point (though poorly stated) is if the angle is off only an adjustable UCA is needed to correct it. Adjustable LCAs are not needed to correct the pinion angle. Sorry for the confusion.
Ah, I understand now. You're right that an adjustable UCA would be a suitable solution.

As I said above, if you get the 1-pc driveshaft then you need EITHER an adustable upper or adjustable lowers.

Personally I recommend a solid UCA and adjustable Lowers. That is becasue the lowers are easier to adjust than the upper--there's a lot more room for your tools. Also, the adjustable LCA + Solid upper is a stronger setup than the solid LCA + adjustable upper.